Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

problem with IOS7 and IMAP gmail accounts ?

Hello,

My IMAP gmail account is not working well under IOS7 .

The accout turns grey in the Mail application, it's blocked, and I can't open it.

If I close the mail app in the background and re-open it, then I can generally access it for a few seconds (sometimes minutes) and then it turns grey and blocked again.

I have this issue for all my gmail IMAP accounts on any devices with IOS 7 (Ipad 2, Iphone 4, Iphone 5S)

I've tried to delete the accounts and create them again: didn't work

I've checked my gmail account and IMAP is activated while POP isn't

I use Outlook on my PC and no issue with the gmail IMAP account.

(before IOS7, I din't expérience such problems BUT there was a strange bug on these accounts: sometimes hundredths of empty mails with no sender and dated 1/1/1970 or 01/01/2001 would appear; this bug also persists with IOS 7)

Any idea on how to solve this issue ?

Thank You,

iPhone 5s, iOS 7.0.2

Posted on Oct 4, 2013 7:43 AM

12 replies

Oct 5, 2013 4:24 AM in response to adeller

Hello,

I ran into the same problem after upgrading my wife's 4S to iOS7. Gmail account is greyed out plus most of the times emails can't be deleted properly (If, sometimes, she is able to access the folders).

The problem seems to be account specific since I can always access my own gmail account on my own iPhone 5, but when I configure my wife's account on my phone, it turns grey. Same thing vice versa: my own gmail-account works flawlessly on my wife's phone... Maybe time to turn to google and see what it's all about?

Both accounts are registered from germany, only my account is about two years older...

Any ideas?

Jan 6, 2014 8:58 AM in response to adeller

I think I found a solution to this weird problem.

But let me first explain how I came to this. I had these strange emails from January 1, 1970 appearing and I had my Gmail account grayed out. This changed from time to time. Sometimes like with excess the Gmail account. Sometimes there were no incomplete emails.

I also noticed that some postboxes (sub folders) I had below the incoming postbox did not appear as well. So I got the idea this must have something to do with the whole problem.

I did the following:

- In the mail app's settings I added a new account.

- I didn't use any of the predefined accounts. Instead I used "others".

- I used my email address with Googlemail, not with Gmail. This seems to be important because if you use Gmail Mail seems to automatically create a Gmail account. But that was not what I wanted to it. I wanted to create IMAP account.

- After filling in the other data Mail told me that it couldn't create the account because of a server named Google mail does not exist. That was okay to me, because I wanted to fool Mail.

- Because of this error all I was able to change the server addresses from Googlemail to Gmail.

- After doing so Mail excepted all my input and the account was created correctly.

That's it. Now I do have an IMAP account which is working fine.

Hopefully this helps others, too. To me it looks like Mail is working properly with IMAP accounts, but has problems with Gmail accounts if you have any subfolders below your incoming mail folder.

If you get along with this solution please leave a message here!

Jul 10, 2014 6:34 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

I am having the exact same problems on my iPhone 5s with IOS7.1.2: I can not access my emails when I use the default google setting when adding a mailaccount. Only when I use "others" and add the gmail setting manually I can get my mail. However my calendar is not synchronised.

I do not have this problem on my iPad with IOS7.1.1 and am very reluctant to update. This is NOT a google thingy but clearly something to do with the default settings for google within mail.

Oct 12, 2014 3:22 AM in response to adeller

I have several gmail-acounts on my iPad Air and iPhone 5S. One of them has been "grayed out" in both iOS7 and iOS8. The only way to access them was to restart the mail app.

Using the above mentioned solution (setting up the gmail account as other/IMAP, thanks!) solves the problem regarding the mailbox for this account.

To get access to the calendar, I did another account setup using the "Gmail"-option, but switching off "mail" in the account settings.

WIth this workaround I can access both mail and calendar. Not the way it is supposed to be... but it works for me.

problem with IOS7 and IMAP gmail accounts ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.