Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Plugin users beware

I have a project of some eight minutes duration, with 353 items including clips, titles, and effects.

I've been using a plugin for colour correction and this morning while I was using it, FCP X crashed.

Nothing too unusual there, but when I re-launched, it crashed repeatedly.

I used finder to transfer the backup project file and re-name it "CurrentVersion" but still FCP X crashed on re-launch.

I then deactivated the plugin - end of problem (or so you'd think).

Well, not so.

Although diabling the plugin meant the project loaded successfully, I discovered that if a plugin effect has been used on a clip, the clip appears as "offline" in the storyline. No problem, just select all the offline clips and in the inspector, delete the effect, OK?

Yes, that works to a point - BUT - I have a background that I put behind some of my stuff-to-camera and to avoid adding the effect I required to every instance of it in the timeline, I opened the background in its own timeline and added the effect there.

I wish I hadn't done that.

I now assumed that If I opened the same file in its own timeline via the Event Browser (the way it was added), every clip in the storyline would be affected, and by removing the effect, all would appear "online".

Not so!

I had to open every single occurence of that clip in its own timeline (from the storyline), select it and then delete the effect, then use the mouse to click the tedious little white triangle to go back to the storyline in order to select the next clip.

I'm hoping someone will tell me that there's a quick fix for this, but I suspect there isn't, so I wanted to warn others.

Andy

Final Cut Pro X, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Oct 4, 2013 8:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 4, 2013 9:48 AM

Sorry to hear of your troubles.

Just in case you need it later: instead of opening the clip in its own timeline, you could achieve what you intended by making it a compound clip. Remember that compound clips do have a master version in the event library, and updating one copy updates all of them. As you found out, that is not how "regular" clips work.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 4, 2013 9:48 AM in response to andynick

Sorry to hear of your troubles.

Just in case you need it later: instead of opening the clip in its own timeline, you could achieve what you intended by making it a compound clip. Remember that compound clips do have a master version in the event library, and updating one copy updates all of them. As you found out, that is not how "regular" clips work.

Oct 4, 2013 10:43 AM in response to andynick

This forum amazes me! It's as quirky as FCP X!

There's quite clearly a reply from Luis Sequeira but when I log in to leave a comment, Luis' reply has disappeared!

User uploaded file

This is not the first time this has happened.

(Oh - and I was forgetting the "Insert Image" facility that works about once in every ten times you try to use it).

The image shows that Luis' reply was posted but not visible when I took the screen grab. Once I inserted the image and clicked the reply button, Luis' reply mysteriously appeared! (How cool is that)!

Andy

Plugin users beware

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.