11 Replies Latest reply: Nov 17, 2013 11:58 AM by WolfCastle
Harrym55 Level 1 Level 1

I use airplay to stream music to my Apple Tv. When using Spotify or Music from my iphone 4s it works perfectly. But no matter what program i'm using on my macbook pro, when it is sent to the apple tv via airplay, it skips and crackles about every ten seconds. Any suggestions, because it's unusable.

Cheers

MacBook Pro (15-inch 2.53 GHz), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)
  • WolfCastle Level 1 Level 1

I have the same problem with my Macbook Air Late 2013 and Apple TV.  It was working perfectly fine up until the last Apple TV software update.  Did you notice that the skips started after the update too?

Here's what I'm running:

Apple TV Software 6.0 (6646.65)

Macbook Air OS X 10.8.5 (12F37)

Just updated my OS to:

OS X 10.8.5 (12F45)

And still no dice...

• Harrym55 Level 1 Level 1

I only bought the ATV a few weeks ago and updated it straight away so I can't compare unfortunately. Does yours work ok with an iphone or whatever else you use with it for music? I thought it was a problem with spotify to begin with and was going to cancel, but it's with any audio out the macbook.

Mine does work okay with my iphone and other devices.  I'm currently on the line with Apple's Tech Support and they think it's a problem with the Apple TV so I'll post another update once we figure out what the issue is

Hey Harry,

I was able to get rid of the skipping with apple's help.  In my case it was the router... so I just disconnected the coaxial and power cable for like 1 min and plugged it back in and it started to work perfectly again.  The tech said that if it continued to be an issue I should get a new router from the ISP.  Hope this helps!  Let me know if you need any other info.

Ok cool. I'll try that. Thanks!

Hi WolfCastle, I tried your suggestion but unfortunately it hasn't helped. It just so happens, i'm changing my ISP with the new router arriving next week. Hopefully this will sort it. Fingers crossed.

• Bergman123 Level 1 Level 1

I have the same problem with my Macbook Air Late 2013 and Apple TV. Working just fine with Macbook 2008 (OS X 10.7.5), iPhone and iPad however.

My broadband hasn't been changed over yet, but latest apple tv update (yesterday) seems to have sorted it! Hope it lasts!

• davidkralik Level 1 Level 1

Yup.  same here.  Mid-2012 MBP, 13" i7 processor, 8GB RAM.

Not sure if I want to keep Apple TV, or kill it.

I wonder if the wireless router in the AppleTV is just not capable of being fast enough to stream that information wirelessly.

I recently bought an Apple Airport Express and it seems to work better now...  no skips in audio lately.  However the video streaming from my macbook air to my apple tv is still not even close to realtime.  I'm not happy with the apple tv but unfortunately I've had it for longer than 15 days so I'm stuck with it.  If I could return it, I might consider a chromecast.  It's way cheaper and I think it can do everything that the apple tv can.