Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Width of system preferences

New Mac user here trying to deal with things after being too used to Windows.

Is there a way to increase the width of my System Preferences window? I'm trying to change keyboard shortcuts, but a lot of the descriptions are cut off with no obvious way to read the entire sentence.

Exhibit A:

User uploaded file

Copy picture of selected area to the wha?

I eventually figured out that I can fiddle with the middle column separator so that if I decrease the width and cover up the text of the left pane, I can see more text in the right. But why do that when I have a ginormous screen that has the capability of fitting both panes with room to spare?

I tried a google search and turned up nothing. Am I simply spoiled by Windows allowing users to haphazardly resizing anything and everything and Mac users never had reason to question it? The fixed size may have made sense back when monitors maxed out at 800px but when even my phone has a width of 640px, 668px just doesn't make any sense.

- Confused new Mac user

MacBook Air, iOS 7.0.2

Posted on Oct 4, 2013 8:40 AM

1 reply

Width of system preferences

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.