Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Random Alert Sound on 2012 iMac OSX 10.8.5?

Hi, I recently erased and restored my iMac (late 2012, 27") and am currently running OSX 10.8.5. At incredibly random times (every few minutes), my iMac will make an alert sound that is sort of like a "ker-plunk" noise. It is somewhat similar to the skype message notification sound, but it's definitely not from skype, and it's not exactly that same sound.

I can't figure out where it's coming from, as I'm not alerted anywhere else on the Mac. I don't have mail set up on the mac so it's not an alert from that.

I'm at a loss, and this is super annoying. 🙂

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Oct 4, 2013 8:26 AM

2 replies

Oct 4, 2013 11:31 AM in response to thetoddie

Hi,

The System Preferences > Sound > Sound Effects tab can list all the System Sounds and any sounds you have in your User's Sound Folder.

User uploaded file

As you can see those in your Users Folder (~/Library/Sounds) are listed as Custom where as the System Sounds are listed and Built-in.

I have a door opening and a door closing sound that I think came from the AIM for Mac applications that sound a bit ker-plunky. (listed as Buddy On and Buddy Off).

If the Sound is not from these sources then I will describe and example method that you can apply to other apps (most likely the ones that are open)

Go to the Applications folder in the Finder.

Highlight Messages.

Right Click and select "Show Package Contents"

Open the Contents folder that then appears in the window.

Open the Resources Folder.

At this point I have the Finder's View Menu > Show View Options showing the Kind column

I click the Kind header and the .aiff files that the app uses are moved to the top of the list.

I have also used the Finder's View Menu to Customise the Toolbar and have the Quick Look button showing

Highlight a sound and use the Quick Look button.

It opens a Slide but also plays the sound without adding and using iTunes to play them

(Alternatively you can right click and Open With and use Quicktime).

User uploaded file
7:31 pm Friday; October 4, 2013

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Mountain Lion 10.8.4)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad
"Limit the Logs to the Bits above Binary Images."  No, Seriously

Random Alert Sound on 2012 iMac OSX 10.8.5?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.