Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Flash Drive Not Recognized

My MacBook Air, Mountain Lion, is not recognizing a new flash drive with data I need. It doesn't show up in Devices so I can't use Device Troubleshooter. Normally it does recognize flash drives and the USB port usually works. I'm at a conference and everyone else can use these drives. Does anyone have a suggestion?

MacBook Air, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)

Posted on Oct 4, 2013 10:27 AM

4 replies

Oct 4, 2013 11:26 AM in response to Carolyn Samit

I don't seem to have an external disk section, just one for devices. I did a search for the term "external disk" in both Finder and the general search area and got nothing. (I am a new user of Macs and may be looking at the wrong place.)

Maybe it isn't formatted for Mac but they are just pdf files. Those are normally readable on both Mac and PC.

Oct 4, 2013 5:29 PM in response to Cookie356

Cookie356 wrote:

Maybe it isn't formatted for Mac but they are just pdf files. Those are normally readable on both Mac and PC.

Even though the files are readable on both Mac and PC, if the drive isn't formatted in a format that Mac OS X can use then the computer itself isn't going to be able to read the drive itself to be able to access the files. Are the other people that are able to access it using PC's or Mac's? You could take the files and put them on a PC and e-mail them to yourself, otherwise you can copy them to a PC, and then format the drive in a format for Mac and then use the PC to put the files back on the drive so you can access them on the Mac.

Flash Drive Not Recognized

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.