Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do I safley remove files from my start up disk

how do I safley remove files from my start up disk i have the largest most current time capsule

thanks for any advise

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.5), have largest time capsule

Posted on Oct 4, 2013 11:05 AM

6 replies

Oct 4, 2013 11:18 AM in response to dborko1

Are you referring to Time Machine backup files located on your Time Capsule. If this is what you are attempting to do not, repeat DO NOTattempt to do this. Time Machine will automatically remove old files when the TM drive has reached capacity. Please study what Pondini has to say about TM in the following FAQ article:

http://pondini.org/TM/FAQ.html

Oct 7, 2013 7:01 AM in response to dborko1

Very simple, you get yourself 2 External HD's and make sure they are formatted to Mac OS Extended (Journaled), you will use one to move your large media libraries such as iTunes, iMovie and iPhotos to it. These libraries are what are take up the large amounts of space. Then attempt to boot the computer in Safe Mode, if you can then follow the directions Apple provides to move those libraries to one of the EHDs using

iTunes: How to move the library to an EHD

iMovie: How to move the Library to an EHD

iPhoto: How to move the Library to an EHD

Once moved and locate the libraries on the EHD and double click each, this wil "teach" each app where the new library is now located. Once that it done delete the old ilibrary and empty the trash on the computer and restart normally. Use the second EHD to be your backup hard drive using Time Machine as the backup system.

Oct 7, 2013 8:30 AM in response to dborko1

Hard drive full or near full?

You should never, EVER let a conputer hard drive get completely full, EVER!

With Macs and OS X, you shouldn't let the hard drive get below 15 GBs or less of free data space.

If it does, it's time for some hard drive housecleaning.

Follow some of my tips for cleaning out, deleting and archiving data from your Mac's internal hard drive.

Assuming you can boot up your iMac,

Have you emptied your iMac's Trash icon in the Dock?

If you use iPhoto, iPhoto has its own trash that needs to be emptied, also.

If you store images in other locations other than iPhoto, then you will have to weed through these to determine what to archive and what to delete.

If you use Apple Mail app, Apple Mail also has its own trash area that needs to be emptied, too!

Delete any old or no longer needed emails and/or archive to disc, flash drives or external hard drive, older emails you want to save.

Other things you can do to gain space.

Once you have around 15 GBs regained, do a search, download and install OmniDisk Sweeper.

This app will help you locate files that you can move/archive and/or delete from your system.

STAY AWAY FROM DELETING ANY FILES FROM OS X SYSTEM FOLDER!

Look through your Documents folder and delete any type of old useless type files like "Read Me" type files.

Again, archive to disc, flash drives, ext. hard drives or delete any old documents you no longer use or immediately need.

Look in your Applications folder, if you have applications you haven't used in a long time, if the app doesn't have a dedicated uninstaller, then you can simply drag it into the OS X Trash icon. IF the application has an uninstaller app, then use it to completely delete the app from your Mac.

Download an app called OnyX for your version of OS X.

When you install and launch it, let it do its initial automatic tests, then go to the cleaning and maintenance tabs and run the maintenance tabs that let OnyX clean out all web browser cache files, web browser histories, system cache files, delete old error log files.

Typically, iTunes and iPhoto libraries are the biggest users of HD space.

move these files/data off of your internal drive to the external hard drive and deleted off of the internal hard drive.

If you have any other large folders of personal data or projects, these should be archived or moved, also, to the optical discs, flash drives or external hard drive and then either archived to disc and/or deleted off your internal hard drive.

Good Luck!

🙂

how do I safley remove files from my start up disk

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.