Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Numbering Facing Pages

Hi, I am formatting my book and want facing page numbers. I use the Automatic Page Numbering and they show up in the section just fine. I check the right and left pages are different and only the right (odd numbered pages) are showing. There are no numbers on the left (even pages) I have checked Facing Pages in the Document Margins and tried all the tips I can find in past discussions but the page numbers still disappear when I check the "Right and Left Pages are different" box. Help!

Thank you.

MacBook, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Oct 4, 2013 3:51 PM

4 replies

Oct 4, 2013 4:35 PM in response to jojoshaw

HI Jojo,

Facing Pages allows you to set top, bottom, outside and inside margins in place of top, bottom, left and right margins.

Right and Left Pages are Different permits (or requires) specifying different headers and footers on left and right pages. It's this part that is causing the disappearance of your page numbers on the even numbered (left) pages.

Click in the header space on any of the even numbered pages and build the header for those pages.

Regards,

Barry

Oct 4, 2013 5:06 PM in response to Barry

Hi Barry,

I want the page numbers to be in the footer at the bottom of the page.

How do I specify different headers and footers on left and right pages and have the numbers show up in the footer with the odd numbers on one side and the even on the other.

Please let me know setp by step, how to number my document in this way, as if starting from scratch. I am not that advanced at this.

Thanks Barry.

Oct 4, 2013 8:09 PM in response to Barry

Hi Barry,

I figured it out on my own.

I deleted the table of contents.

Then I turned the footer off and back on to start fresh.

Then I made sure I checked facing pages in the Document margin section and Left and Right Pages are different in the Layout/Section area.

Then I reinserted the auto page numbers and chose Outside as the location.

Bingo. they are right and left justified on the facing pages.

Insert the Table of Contents and DONE!

Have a good day.

Jo Anna

Oct 4, 2013 8:18 PM in response to jojoshaw

Good on you, Jojo!

My instructions probably would have missed deleting the TOC and turning Footers and Headers off and on again—at least until I had tried them, found the simple version wouldn't work, and explored a few other possibilities.

Fortunately, you found a solution and shared it (about six minutes before I got back to the Pages comunity index page to check on anythng new).

I'd suggest you mark your last post with "This answered my question" to make it easier to find for someone looking for the answer to a similar question.

Regards,

Barry

Numbering Facing Pages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.