Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Recover e-mails through TimeMachine problem

Hi

When I recover my e-mails through TimeMachine I then copy them all into my in box in mail, everything goes OK but then when I clicked on one posting in thein box they all disapear. After looking around I found them all still in the Recovered Messages from timeMachine. Is it not possible to transfer from the Recovered Messages box to the in box?

Also after the first time I put all the e-mails into the in box they also all came up on the iPad and had a job deleting them, is there a way where the e-mails don't go to the iPad?

Ta

2.93GHz Intel Core i7, Mac OS X (10.6.7), Memory 8GB also Mac OS X now (10.7)

Posted on Oct 5, 2013 2:36 AM

11 replies

Oct 5, 2013 10:09 AM in response to George Hilton

Quit Mail. Force quit if necessary.

Back up all data. That means you know you can restore the Mail database, no matter what happens.

Triple-click anywhere in the line below on this page to select it:

~/Library/Mail/V2/MailData/Envelope Index

Copy the selected text to the Clipboard (command-C). In the Finder, select

Go Go to Folder

from the menu bar. Paste into the box that opens (command-V), then press return.

A Finder window will open with a file selected. Move the selected file to the Desktop, leaving the window open. Other files in the folder may have names that begin with "Envelope Index". Move those files, if any, to the Trash.

Log out and log back in. Relaunch Mail. It should prompt you to re-import your messages. You may get a warning that the index is damaged and that Mail has to quit. Click OK.

Test. If Mail now works as expected, you can delete the file you moved to the Desktop. Otherwise, post your results.

Oct 5, 2013 11:36 PM in response to Linc Davis

Hi Linc Davis

Do I have a problem because I can not find the folder Mail never mind folders after that. I did copy the address but it went to a web site see attached, also I have looked all over for the folder even V2 but can't find it? Im running 10.8.5 maybe it is not there in this system and has anther name?

thanks for your help

George

User uploaded file

Oct 6, 2013 6:48 AM in response to George Hilton

I've tested these instructions only with the Safari web browser. If you use another browser, they may not work as described.

Triple-click anywhere in the line below on this page to select it:

ls -@Oaen L*/M*/*/M*D* | open -ef

Copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C.

Launch the Terminal application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad. Click Utilities, then Terminal in the icon grid.

Paste into the Terminal window by pressing the key combination command-V.

Wait for a new line ending in a dollar sign (“$”) to appear.

A TextEdit window will open with the output of the command. If the command produced no output, the window will be empty. Post the contents of the TextEdit window (not the Terminal window), if any — the text, please, not a screenshot. The title of the window doesn't matter, and you don't need to post that.

Recover e-mails through TimeMachine problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.