Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New update is broking webcam again

With this new update I can't use my webcam in any app, not even in facetime. What is going on? Was it just with my macbook?

MacBook Air, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Oct 5, 2013 4:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 5, 2013 9:10 AM

Apple has now published the "OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.5 Supplemental Update" to resolve the mid-2013 MBA known issue (and a few others.) Apple recommends the OS X v10.8.5 Supplemental Update for all users running OS X Mountain Lion v10.8.5.

If that is the update you applied, did you restart your Mac and repair permissions since you installed? If not, do so now and test again.

If you have already properly applied the Supplemental, you may have encountered a bad download or install. Restart Mac, download the Supplemental Update again, repair permissions, install the update, and then repair permissions again. Then test Apple camera apps to see if the problem is solved.

Message was edited by: EZ Jim

Mac OSX 10.8.5

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 5, 2013 9:10 AM in response to iagomds

Apple has now published the "OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.5 Supplemental Update" to resolve the mid-2013 MBA known issue (and a few others.) Apple recommends the OS X v10.8.5 Supplemental Update for all users running OS X Mountain Lion v10.8.5.

If that is the update you applied, did you restart your Mac and repair permissions since you installed? If not, do so now and test again.

If you have already properly applied the Supplemental, you may have encountered a bad download or install. Restart Mac, download the Supplemental Update again, repair permissions, install the update, and then repair permissions again. Then test Apple camera apps to see if the problem is solved.

Message was edited by: EZ Jim

Mac OSX 10.8.5

Oct 5, 2013 10:00 AM in response to iagomds

After the original (flawed) update to OS X 10.8.5 was installed, the internal camera of a 2013 MacBook Air would not work in Skype and some other third-party applications. The flaw was fixed in a supplemental update. However, if you followed some questionable advice that was circulating on this site to hack your system before installing the supplemental update, then it will not restore camera functionality; in fact, the camera won't work at all. The solution in that case, most likely, is to install the 10.8.5 Combo update.

In the future, I suggest you ignore advice to hack your system by replacing, removing, or changing built-in system components.

New update is broking webcam again

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.