Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is AppleIEDAV.exe and why is it flooding my network stream?

I am running Windows 7 Professional, and because I have both iPad and iPhone(s), I have installed all relevant Apple products on this PC.

I have so far been able to determine that the AppleIEDAV.exe application is part of iCloud. Perhaps a bookmark manager/synchronizer? Not sure. Using a packet sniffer, I was able to determine that it is gobbling up bandwidth by firing off data to an Apple address at 17.154.84.10.

Whatever this thing is trying to do, it appears stuck in a loop. Kill the process, the network traffic dies. Restart the PC, watch the process start up, and watch the bandwidth ramp up.

So, the question is: what is this AppleIEDAV.exe process, and why it is flooding the network?

Thanks,

Don

Windows 7

Posted on Oct 5, 2013 6:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 8, 2013 10:28 AM

I saw similar results when looking at SSL traffic. I inquired and was told by the user that they did not use iCloud. I watched this for a couple of days and then began looking at the computer settings for iCloud. Three boxes were checked but no iCloud login information. I unchecked all three boxes and applied settings and the problem went away.

Very unusual that it would still try to sync data anyway...

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 8, 2013 10:28 AM in response to DBoit

I saw similar results when looking at SSL traffic. I inquired and was told by the user that they did not use iCloud. I watched this for a couple of days and then began looking at the computer settings for iCloud. Three boxes were checked but no iCloud login information. I unchecked all three boxes and applied settings and the problem went away.

Very unusual that it would still try to sync data anyway...

Oct 9, 2013 5:24 AM in response to DBoit

I have had this problem. Windows 7 Desktop PC with Outlook calendar and bookmarks syncing to icloud. Two days ago started receiving meesages on an hourly basis from my ISP to say had exceeded my download limit. Turned out to be uploads that were the problem. Downloaded BitMeter OS free software to see uploads every few seconds. Windows Resources Monitor (accessories - system) identified furious activity from AppleIEDAV.exe. I went into config.sys and disabled the program in startup and reset the PC and activity ceased. However after midnight the uploads recommenced clocking up around 1 Gb an hour. I saw a new instance of AppleIEDAV.exe had been added to startup. I saw that AppleIEDAV.exe was not loaded onto my laptop where iCloud sync worked fine, so deleted the program from the PC. Just to be safe I used some code from http://windowsvc.com/bbs/board.php?bo_table=windowsvc&wr_id=76338 to remove any registry instuctions. My best guess is that this was acivity caused by Findmyiphone software which I enabled around that time, so have removed Findmyiphone as well. All seems back to normal now and syncing seems fine too. I did also remove an icloud email account which I had as one of my Outlook accounts but I don't think that was implicated. The ability to use Findmyphone on a PC was I think only recently added to icloud which may account for the recent number of posts on this issue.

Nov 15, 2013 1:42 AM in response to DBoit

Hi,

I discovered a problem with this service running on my IE10. My Avast Virus warning kept coming on and iAppleIEDAV.exe was the source of the warning.

It turns out that what ever previous bookmarks you have on IE that are on your cloud and that you delete will automatically get re-generated.

I have over 1000 bookmarks regenerated even though I tried to delete them in both IE and also in windows exploere in users they kept regenerating themselves.

To fix this run iCloud on your PC, and untick the 'Bookmarks' and apply.

This could be an Apple bug that needs fixing...?

BIjan

Newbury UK

Feb 5, 2014 4:27 AM in response to Luppes

Thank you Luppes and others on this thread. "Unchecking the Internet Explorer bookmark syncing" on icloud stopped my unknown upload traffic. I kept google searching for "upload virus" and this was the actual problem. 50 % of my broadband was being used by this appleiedav.exe, and AT&T was charging me for excess DSL used.

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you.

Feb 13, 2014 4:56 PM in response to DBoit

You should know that beginning Jan 23rd this Apple IE DAV uploaded over 350 gigabytes of data. Of course, I found out from my ISP and they had no clue. I had just upgraded to their 30 MB service, added a router, to add to the confusion. Their only thought was that someone was riding my wireless. How could Apple do this? This one little app or whatever it is was uploading 20 gig per day.

Feb 24, 2014 6:18 AM in response to DBoit

I notice the same problem today. I had to uninstall all my Apple productions due to a faulty update of iTunes deleting a DLL.

After restalling everything I had like iCloud, I saw the problem the next morning after configuring iCloud.

I went into the dashboard for iCloud and disabled the IE bookmark sync like dannll suggested above.

This stupid process was using 25% of my CPU which is a Core i5.

Come on Apple!

Mar 17, 2014 11:38 AM in response to DBoit

I have a mobile user who returned to the office this morning, plugged in his laptop

(Lenovo PC Win7) and immediately started pushing 20Mbps out to the net.

It took me awhile to find it. Researching this found the above entry and fix (unchecking

the bookmark IE sync for iCloud).

Since my user uses a Verizon mifi on the road, I can't wait to see this month's

bill. Shame on Apple for not fixing this.

Mar 23, 2014 11:14 AM in response to DBoit

I too am having this issue, and I'm reading through your answers above, but since I'm NOT a tech person, I have no idea how to uncheck the bookmark IE sync for iCloud) or turn off the Find My iPhone on my PC.

Since I lose my iPhone at east twice a week somewhere in the house, I use this frequently - but normally from my iPad, so turning it off on the PC will be no problem. It was just an added convenience.

Please help. The appleiedav is driving me insane - taking up anywhere from 22%-45% of my system resources and really slowing me down.

Thanks (from a dumb user!).

Should add that I'm running Windows 8.1 and very seldom use ie. I usually use Chrome.

Processor: Inetl(RO Core(TM) i5-3330S CUP @ 2.70GHz 2.70 GHz

Installed memory (RAM): 8.00 GB (7.88 GB usable)

System type: 64-bit Operating System, x64-based processor

It's a Dell.

As far as programs I sync across my apple/pc devices, I sync the calendar, contacts, notes and Evernote. I don't sync mail.

Message was edited by: CandiJ

Jun 8, 2014 5:50 PM in response to DBoit

This post seems to be the most viewed out of this issue so I will post my concern here.

Can we get SOME official or unofficial response from APPLE to let their users at least know that they are aware of the issue and are looking (or collaborating with Microsoft) to get this fixed... KB?

I haven't done any packet analysis on this yet, but 5GB in a few hours (of upload) is horrendous. With all the concerns of privacy, the Apple software is either stuck in a loop, or my worse case scenario says that Apple is scrapping my entire hard drive every second my computer is on... Or Microsoft has purposefully made iCloud sync NOT work with Internet Explorer... could be any of those - or could be something completely different... choose a poison.

The incident has been resolved, but this problem remains open.

Aug 18, 2014 5:11 AM in response to DBoit

I have just been told by my ISP that I have reached my monthly usage limit in only 8 days thanks to this programme !

By trial and error I found that by disabling the IE Bookmark syncing the 4Gb per day extra usage has stopped !

However, I will now have to pay extra to my ISP to continue to use my internet until the end of this period, some 22 days hence !

Will Apple compensate me for this ???

Oct 8, 2015 9:20 AM in response to DBoit

a bit of additional info on this issue....

I have a Win7 (64bit) desktop, Win10 notebook, and various iphones, ipads, and Macbooks running on my network. Hit the Comcast 300Gb limit 3 months in a row and was approaching 300Gb after 7 days this month! Thanks to this thread, I unchecked the bookmarks sync on the Win7 Desktop and the problem is solved. Still syncing bookmarks on the Win10 notebook without any problem.

What is AppleIEDAV.exe and why is it flooding my network stream?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.