Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone to ford sync usb connection problems

i've had problems connecting via usb to sync in my 2012 ford fiesta. it was sketchy before - problems maybe 1/4 of the time that could usually be fixed by disconnecting and reconnecting the cable until it worked.

with the latest ios7 update connection problems are far greater. usually it won't connect at all, though sometimes it connects without issue. occasionally it'll connect fine for one song, the next song displays "unknown" on the car display, and the third song disconnects usb (though the song keeps playing on the phone).

i also get error messages that the cable isn't supported, even though it's the apple supplied cable. is that related somehow?

are there any workarounds for this, or fixes planned?

Posted on Oct 5, 2013 7:29 AM

5 replies

Oct 7, 2013 2:08 PM in response to rm0659

Hello rm0659,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

For more information on this, take a look at:

iOS: Troubleshooting car stereo connections

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3581

Beginning playback and controlling music

If it is and you cannot hear sound from your car speakers, try switching to your radio and then back to the proper input.

Disconnect and restart

Isolate the issue

Try to reproduce the issue with an identical or similar accessory, if one is available, or test with a second device.

Restore iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Best of luck,

Mario

Oct 7, 2013 2:28 PM in response to mario49

thanks, as best as i can tell, i've isolated the problems to the ios7 update.

i have two cables to connect my iphone5 to the car usb - one apple, one not, and both have the same problems showing up as unsupported cables. neither one connects to sync on the car reliably (or fails consistently either).

often sync claims that no usb device is connected, even though sync was just playing through usb moments earlier and the charging indicator shows the phone is connected. disconnecting and reconnecting used to fix this, even if it took several attempts, with ios6. now, after a dozen+ attempts it doesn't connect. power cycling the phone, the radio, the car - nothing makes a difference.

i'm having trouble controlling playback via sync now too, that i never did before.

my iphone3gs running ios6 connects with the same success rate as it always did (about 75% of the time it's fine).

i will grant that ford's sync system is pretty lousy, but at least pre-ios7 i could eventually get it to work. no longer.

Dec 11, 2016 1:16 PM in response to Dizzeedon

Please please, before you unhook the battery or do anything else to completely reset your Sync system, try switching out the USB cable for another one and see what that does. I have been through doing a hard reset for Sync, removing the fuse and disconnecting the battery where for me, all it did was force me to dive through every menu to reset all my settings. My actual issues were the USB cables. well, I'm not certain that the USB cables are the real problem, but they do provide a temporary fix by replacing them. I've had to replace my USB cable in my Ford twice now, but if I connect these "bad" cables elsewhere, they work fine. So, I can't say for sure what the problem is, but it's certainly easier to replace a USB cable than to do any of those other reset options.

iphone to ford sync usb connection problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.