Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to get back a mailbox deleted

I accidentally deleted a Mailbox (with all my related email therein).

Is there a way to get it back?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8), iLife '11; Microsoft Office fo MAC

Posted on Oct 5, 2013 8:24 AM

19 replies

Jul 3, 2017 7:24 AM in response to mashlanann45

Do a backup, preferably 2 separate ones on 2 drives. Boot off the DVD and run Disk Utility Verify/Repair Disk and Repair Permissions until you get no errors. Reformat the drive using Disk Utility/Erase Mac OS Extended (Journaled), then click the Option button and select GUID. Then re-install the OS.

When you reboot, use Setup Assistant to restore your data.

Oct 6, 2013 10:29 AM in response to seventy one

If my post was one of the solutions ... Bring up Mail and on the left hand side is your list of mail boxes. Keeping that page open and active, click onTime machine and it should be showing a miniature version of the mail page and its boxes.

Scroll back in the time scale on the extreme right until you reach the date where you lost the mail box and go one day further back.

That box should now be visible and you then click restore.

To be honest, I've never had to do this so I cannot be 100% sure all the contents of that box will be there. But you have to try, don't you.

Oct 7, 2013 8:32 AM in response to Al_Chance

Your mailboxes are in your User Library folder which is hidden by default.

Either hold down the option key while using the Finder “Go To Folder” command and select your user Library in your home folder or use the Finder Go To Folder command and enter ~/Library/Mail/V2. Enter your backup with that folder selected. Find the mailbox and restore it.

If you prefer to make your User library permanently visible, use the Terminal command found below.

Show User Library

You might want to bookmark the command. I had to use it again after I installed 10.8.5. I have also been informed that if you drag the user library to Finder it will remain visible.

Below is an Apple support article which explains my previous suggestion.

Restore Mailboxes and their Content

Aug 17, 2015 4:26 PM in response to ChristaF^^

Your problem, hardware or software, may not be exactly the same as that of the original poster of this older thread, and it can be very confusing for everybody if we try to answer more than one question in each thread, which can also result in you applying the wrong advice to your particular problem.

In order for us to give your problem our proper attention to try to solve it, would you kindly start your own thread, describing the trouble you are having in the fullest detail, including completing your details to show what Mac or iDevice you are using, what operating system, and what version of the application in question. Please remember to post in the forum relevant to your hardware or version of OS X. A full list of all the support forums is here:

http://discussions.apple.com/index.jspa

Jan 13, 2016 11:05 AM in response to Al_Chance

FWIW: I read the threads about using Time Machine. "Restored" the only mailbox I could find, which was the "mail.app" , then looked for the previously deleted mailbox and still could not find it. The mailbox that I had deleted was called "Tile". So, just for kicks, I looked for the content "tile" in the search window of my Mail and, voila, all of the content appeared! So I added a new mailbox and moved ALL the content to the new one........

How to get back a mailbox deleted

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.