Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Folders turned into Unix Executable File on my external HD

Hello

I have the latest version of the mac Os X. I got one external drive, ntfs formatted and not sure why, some of the folders in this drive has turned into Unix Executable File - I can not access them.

Please let me know what I can do since those folders contain back up photos I do not want to loose.

Thank you!

Gilson

MacBook Air, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Oct 5, 2013 8:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 5, 2013 10:44 AM

Here is a screnshot to show you what I mean 🙂

User uploaded file

So those Unix Executable Files used to be folders 😟

23 replies

Oct 8, 2015 7:47 PM in response to The Other Shahab

Im having similar issue with a memory card. can you walk me through this? I'm a photographer shooting with a Canon 1DC camera. I was working from my macbook air (running Yosemite) to transfer photos from a 64gb CF Promaster memory card to a 2tb western digital external hard drive (like i always do) and one of the files wouldn't transfer. The computer froze when I attempted to open that file and I eventually shut the computer down. When I turned the computer back on and put the card back into the reader the folder that had the file that wouldn't open was suddenly a Unix file. There was another folder on the card that had images in it and was perfectly fine. Can you help me to turn the unix file back into a folder and recover the files?

Oct 30, 2014 12:03 PM in response to gsantosoliver

Ok I have half an answer for you. I went through the same thing and recovered 1 TB files. Trouble is I have forgotten the fix.

Go to Terminal in Utilities and show hidden files by typing the following:

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles 1

Now look at the drive that has the problem. You will see your original files in hidden mode and you will be able to explore them. Oh wait let me try something...

Ok I have the full answer for you and here it is:

Go to Terminal in Utilities and show hidden files by typing the command above. Go to the drive that has turned your folder called XYZ into XYZ.exe

Make a new folder called XYZ2, drag all the files from the hidden folder into the new folder. Delete the now empty folder and the .exe folder and your drive will be as good as new.

I don't know how to hide all hidden files again.

Cheers from Pakistan!

Oct 5, 2013 9:31 AM in response to gsantosoliver

gsantosoliver wrote:

I have the paragon ntfs for Mac. The external drive was used before in windows and the folders contain backup data, I can not format it without getting access to the folders that have been converted to unix executable file

They have not been converted, but Finder can't read the drive's format so they are misreported. If you are using Paragon NTFS you should be able to see them so. Uninstall Paragon, reboot, reinstall Paragon.

Folders turned into Unix Executable File on my external HD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.