Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro - not liking new ssd

Hello,

I am having a slight problem with my Macbook Pro 13" Early 2011

My old ssd corrupted, used as a primary disk with 500gb storage (Samsung 840 500gb)

So I decided it was time for an upgrade anyway and ordered a Samsung 500gb 840EVO as after using Samsung's SSDs throughtout my household and only this time have I had an issue (this is much better than OCZ and other companies)

I managed to recover the files on my 840, and put them on my spare backup drive, and I can run from there like a dream.

However with my new ssd, whenever it is in the main HDD slot I cannot boot from it, and when I run it through where the disk drive used to be, I get the same issue (I cannot take my mac back to apple due to having the disk drive removed), however if I connect my new ssd via usb I can boot it up perfectly (I am writting this via it) but this is not very practical for day to day use, does anyone know how I could fix this so I can connect my ssd inside my mac (either in the main drive or via where the disk drive is (I dont mind!))

Thanks in advance,

Kind Regards,

ËœMax

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5), 16gb ram Intel i5 2.4ghz

Posted on Oct 5, 2013 8:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 5, 2013 9:13 AM

If I were you, I would get in touch with Samsung support... there have been a number of reports of people having problems with the EVO series in MacBook Pros - some saying the drives are slow, some unable to boot (such as you're experiencing), etc.

You're doing everything right, reading what you've written, and the problem must lie with the drive itself. That's why I encourage you to contact Samsung - and let us know what they have to say (I'm sitting on the fence as to whether to get a 1TB EVO or a Crucial 960GB M500... but the more I read about folks having trouble with the EVO and Macs, I'm just not getting the warm fuzzies about the EVO series, despite the speed tests that I've seen from Windows machines).

Of course, some may suggest that the problem is with your SATA cable - which it very well could be since your old Samsung was somehow 'corrupted' and your new drive will boot from an enclosure but not from the HD bay.

Good luck,

Clinton

16 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 5, 2013 9:13 AM in response to Max - uk

If I were you, I would get in touch with Samsung support... there have been a number of reports of people having problems with the EVO series in MacBook Pros - some saying the drives are slow, some unable to boot (such as you're experiencing), etc.

You're doing everything right, reading what you've written, and the problem must lie with the drive itself. That's why I encourage you to contact Samsung - and let us know what they have to say (I'm sitting on the fence as to whether to get a 1TB EVO or a Crucial 960GB M500... but the more I read about folks having trouble with the EVO and Macs, I'm just not getting the warm fuzzies about the EVO series, despite the speed tests that I've seen from Windows machines).

Of course, some may suggest that the problem is with your SATA cable - which it very well could be since your old Samsung was somehow 'corrupted' and your new drive will boot from an enclosure but not from the HD bay.

Good luck,

Clinton

Oct 5, 2013 11:26 AM in response to clintonfrombirmingham

Hi, I will be calling Samsung on monday it seems quite viable however it does work fine via a sata to usb cable, regarding the internal sata cable, I belive that is fine as I can boot from an hdd through there, thanks for the tip and ill post what they say, sadley afaik the support closes at 4pm and I leave work at 5pm, nice timing for Samsung there hahaha

Dec 20, 2013 10:30 PM in response to clintonfrombirmingham

Hey Clinton

I guess i'm so stuck with the SSD that i have purchased.

Here is the details:

SSD - Samsung SSD 840 Evo 250GB

MacBook Pro - 13-inch, Mid 2012

Model Identifier: MacBookPro9,2

Processor 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5

Memory 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Graphics Intel HD Graphics 4000 1024 MB

Software OS X 10.9.1 (13B42)

Boot ROM Version: MBP91.00D3.B08

SMC Version (system): 2.2f44

I was running with the factory HDD (toshiba 500gb) and thought of replacing it with an SSD . Tried a clean installation of mavericks at first using Bootable USB drive having mavericks. So i went on and installed the ssd replacing the HDD i had and went on to boot up from the USB, prior the installtion i tired to partition it first with single partition MAC os extended journaled with GUID table. But then it did partition but after that it says trying to reinitialize the drive and it never came back although i tried more than five times. So then i went back to my HDD and tired cloning it to SSD using Carbon Copy Cloner, but even for that i had to do the partitioning which failed. Finally i had to go and return back that peice and they gave me another one convincing me that it might a defective peice.

Now, with the second one, at first i booted up my HDD normally and connected the new SSD the USB/sata converter and i successfully partitioned and using carbon copy cloner, i have cloned as well. Now to make sure if its all ok, before replacing the HDD in the main compartment, i just selected the startup disk as the new SSD and restarted the system... it booted up fine like a cheetah... was all gud... i thought everything is pretty fine. Then ofcourse i went ahead and replaced the HDD and powered up the system again, but then it's not booting up... it gives you that folder with ? mark and that's all...

And then i tried some other ways too... i even checked the firmware versions and i guess they are upto date as well. I just dont get the reason why it's not working.

Please help me.

Anjillan

Dec 23, 2013 11:51 PM in response to clintonfrombirmingham

This is 100% accurately stated from Clinton.

When working on the newer MacBook Pro Retina models I have seen replacing everything except screws and clips is crucial in making it work the first time.

I wish you the Best of Luck and hopefully the guide from ifixit.com helps you i recommend this to all customers who buy parts and pieces, odds and ends that like the DIY challenge make sure to take some of the guides though with a grain of salt if they are not created by experienced "Guide Builders". You never know who may be trolling the internet making up stuff.

Hope to hear good reports and a successful install!

MacBook Pro - not liking new ssd

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.