Airport utility does not recognize my airport express.
tried to download 5.6, won't let me (OS X 10.8.5 (12F37)
Then you're running OS X Mountain Lion, not Lion as you stated.
Version 5.6 will run just fine under Mountain Lion, it just won't install ... without a workaround.
Here are the basic steps to install version 5.6 under OS X Lion (versions 10.7.3 +) or OS X Mountain Lion using CharlesSoft's Pacifist:
- If you haven't already download the AirPort Utility disk image file directly from Apple Support Download
- Place the resultant AirPortUtility56.dmg file onto your Mac's Desktop.
- Run Pacifist.
- Click on the Open Package option. Find the disk image file that you just placed on your desktop, and then, click on Open.
- The utility is located as follows: Contents of AirPortUtility56.dmg > Contents of AirPortUtility56.pkg > Contents of AirPortUtility56Lion.pkg > Applications > Utilities > AirPort Utility 5.6.app
- Drag AirPort Utility 5.6.app to your Mac's /Applications/Utilities folder.
You can now run the AirPort Utility from the Utilities folder.