Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

In System Preferences my desktop and screen saver and display will not load

when i open system preferences and click display or screen saver or desktop and screen saver it says "Could not load Desktop and Screen Saver preference pane." I have a macbook air with Mac OS x Lion 10.7.5.

MacBook Air, shits crazy

Posted on Oct 5, 2013 1:54 PM

9 replies

Oct 5, 2013 2:07 PM in response to djkrz

Open the Finder. From the Finder menu bar click Go > Go to Folder

Type or copy paste the following:

~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.systempreferences.plist

Click Go then move the com.apple.systempreferences.plist file to the Trash.

Restart your Mac then try to open the desktop / screen saver System Preferences pane.

If that didn't help, copy and paste the following:

~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.desktop.plist

Click Go then move the com.apple.desktop.pilst file to the Trash

Then try again.

Oct 5, 2013 4:59 PM in response to djkrz

First follow the instructions in this support article.

If an iPhoto or Aperture library is the source of your desktop pictures, it may need to be rebuilt, or you may need to update the application to the latest version.

Otherwise, continue as below.

Back up all data.

In the Finder, hold down the option key and select

Go Library

from the menu bar. From the Library folder, delete the following item, if it exists:

Caches/com.apple.systempreferences

and move the following item to the Desktop:

Preferences/com.apple.desktop.plist

Launch System Preferences and test. If you still have the issue, put the item on the Desktop back where it came from and post again. Otherwise, delete the item.

Nov 24, 2014 11:24 AM in response to Linc Davis

Followed each step and it worked as far as getting the venetian blind effect away. When I restarted the iMac the preferences showed the Apple choices for screen saver...but I can't find any "iPhoto" options at the bottom of the box and "options" are only for "row ...and timing."

How can I get my iPhoto pics back under options.

PS my iPhoto library has a name "iPpaddle hoto Library" and is in the Pictures Folder of the finder. I'm not sure how the name got this way BUT it has been like that for years.

Aug 25, 2015 6:08 AM in response to djkrz

All, I had the same issue and it also affected other preferences like Energy Saver and some others. None of the file deletions worked. But look at this solution from another user. Open System Preferences in 32 bit mode. Solved the desktop and energy saver access issues for me, thank goodness.

Could not load Energy Saver preference pane. <near bottom of first page>

"Found a solution that works for me.

Running Lion 10.7.5 in an MacPro 1.1 - machine is new to me, and is several years old

Deleted the various pref files as per above.

Reinstalled 10.7.5 combo update.

Still could not open energy saver preference pane. Machine was restarting at 10:25pm each night!!!

The solution - I found the system preferences app in the Applications folder

Get Info and selected - Open in 32 bit mode

Given System Information>Software>Preference panes says Energy Saver preference pane is 64 bit, I was sceptical this would work. But it does. At least I can now open my Energy Saving preference pane and get the Mac Pro to behave as I want it to.

Credit to Joseph Delaney in https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4142349?start=0&tstart=0

Tim"

In System Preferences my desktop and screen saver and display will not load

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.