Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cleaning the iMac screen

I have a new iMac.

It seems that it has some kind of screen cover , I don't succeed to clean the screen from marks with any product.

Is there a solution please ?

Thanks.

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion, 10.8.3

Posted on Oct 5, 2013 2:46 PM

11 replies

Aug 10, 2014 9:23 AM in response to rony-z

Spit Shine with the "Provided" Micro Fibre Cloth is the best way.

In Detail:

I had my iMac for a few months now (purchased 1qtr 2014) and I have wondered about cleaning the screen for some time. The thing is, I to tried a non-abrasive cleaning product but it did not work. All that did was clean off the dust but left some insanely annoying smudge marks. I wondered for sometime and inquired a far and wide about cleaning the iMac but no one really had an answer that actually worked.

Frustrated, I went back to the original box the product and pulled out the manual but also pulled out a black micro fibre cleaning cloth still sealed inside of the box where the keyboard was. I thought, "sure why not".

I continued to perform a really light strokes with the provided cloth and surprisingly all the smudges and streaks started to disappear. 👿 I felt as though I was Kratos killing a Titan or something at this point but beauty is the details.

There were some fine peaces of dirt specs stuck on the screen that the cloth would not get off. I figured I came this far so I wasn't going to give up. 😠

For some odd reason, I thought, "maybe a spit shine D?" . LOL, no not hocking at the monitor, that would be silly but then again ... Anyways, I did dap a little salvia off my tongue, on to my finger, and then directly on those tough spots where specs were, and wiped it away with the micro fibre cloth with ease. This was by far the best way I have ever cleaned the d*am* thing since purchase. 😎

Nov 4, 2014 4:54 PM in response to rony-z

I recently bought a used iMac from a family with four kids. The screen was really dirty, looked like peanut butter on the screen. First I used Windex to get off the chunks but that left a film. And Apple screen cleaner still left a film. Then I used straight undiluted "cleaning vinegar" (Home Despot) and a microfiber cloth, put the vinegar on the cloth and wiped the screen. Perfect! Crystal clear. No smudges.

Cleaning the iMac screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.