Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is my 27" iMac's (Late 2013) memory overheating?

I received my new iMac last week and noticed something strange when maxing out all the CPUs while running Prime95

According to Temperature Guage by Tunabelly Software the Memory - TM1a redlines and reaches 220F+ (104C). http://o7.no/1gf59MP

User uploaded file

The screen shot above was taken when the iMac was idling. The black lines to the right indicate the max temp that was reached under stress.

Apple user Baltwo experienced a similar issue which was caused by a faulty fan.

I'm worried my iMac may have a faulty fan or something.

The app only see's one fan.

Can anyone else running the a Late 2013 27" iMac replicate these results? I'd love to know if I should have mine checked out.

User uploaded file

Any thoughts or suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5), 27-inch, Late 2013 3.5GHz i7 - 32GB

Posted on Oct 5, 2013 6:39 PM

2 replies

Dec 15, 2013 10:48 AM in response to tseven

These iMacs only have 1 fan inside of them. The CPU and the GPU both utilize a single heatsink. I'm looking into buying one right now, but I can tell you that with the maximum memory, as I am also looking to get, will likely generate more heat. Try using the machine under normal work loads and monitor the temps. The other thing is you could go into a store and try one of their machines out.

If you aren't having any lockups or issues, I'd likely say you are fine. Also feel the back of the chassis and see if it is overly hot. They can get hot to the touch, but these machines are usually designed to handle a high degree of heat from my experience too.

Dec 15, 2013 2:24 PM in response to tseven

It was Sea BiscuiT who had the problem, not I. Since yours is a new machine, you can return it w/o any questions the first 14 days. Otherwise it's under warranty, so contact Apple's Support, formerly Apple Express Lane and let them deal with it. BTW, if you have the Apple Protection Plan and if you're within 50 miles (80 KM) of an Apple repair station, you might be eligible for onstie repair.

Is my 27" iMac's (Late 2013) memory overheating?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.