Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

installing used memory

I removed 2 x 8 GB of RAM from one iMac and attempted to install in another iMac which had 2 x 8 GB of factory installed RAM. Immediately after turning on the iMac with 4 x 8the computer started making a very annoying beeping sound without booting up. Upon removal of the newly installed RAM all is well again. Do I have to prep the "used" RAM before installing it? As far as I know I had the RAM installed properly. I assume they use the same RAM but perhaps not?

Thanks!

iMac 27 inch (2012) ---> iMac 27 inch (2013)

Mountain Lion latest version, etc.

Fusion Drive 3 TB

i7 3.5 GHz

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Oct 5, 2013 7:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 5, 2013 7:59 PM

No, but you do have to use the same spec'd RAM as is already in the machine. I suspect that isn't the case, hence the problem. The annoying beeping sound means bad RAM.

6 replies

Oct 5, 2013 8:18 PM in response to DoctorSaal

Yeah the specs for the 2012 and 2013 look identical

iMac (27-inch, Late 2012)

iMac (27-inch, Late 2012) computers have four SDRAM slots in a compartment located on the rear of the computer. The computer comes with at least 8 GB DDR3 SDRAM installed as two 4 GB DIMMs into two slots. The maximum amount of RAM you can install in your computer is 32 GB (an 8 GB SO-DIMM in each slot).

You can use any small-outline dual inline memory modules (SO-DIMMS) that meet all of these criteria:

• PC3-12800
  • Unbuffered
  • Nonparity
  • 204-pin
  • 1600 MHz
  • DDR3 SDRAM

You can use RAM module sizes of 4 GB or 8 GB in each slot.

iMac (27-inch, Late 2013)

iMac (27-inch, Late 2013) computers have four SDRAM slots in a compartment located on the rear of the computer. The computer comes with at least 8 GB DDR3 SDRAM installed as two 4 GB DIMMs into two slots. The maximum amount of RAM you can install in your computer is 32 GB (an 8 GB SO-DIMM in each slot). You can use any small-outline dual inline memory modules (SO-DIMMS) that meet all of these criteria:

• PC3-12800
  • Unbuffered
  • Nonparity
  • 204-pin
  • 1600 MHz
  • DDR3 SDRAM

Make sure the sticks were seated proberly.

Message was edited by: Frank Caggiano - Just to be clear the 2012 you are taking the memory from boots and works ok, right?

Oct 5, 2013 8:27 PM in response to Frank Caggiano

I am totally bewildered. I just tried it all over again and this made absolutely sure that the RAM was seated properly. This time my iMac would not even respond when I tried to turn it on! After removing the two offending RAM sticks, the iMac is happy again. I bought the extra two 8 GB RAM sticks from OWC last year so I guess I will call them on Monday and see what they have to say. I bet when I put them back into my 2012 iMac they are recognized without problem.

Thanks again!

Michael

installing used memory

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.