Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

dropped phone in water/flashes apple logo/won't connect to itunes!

so I dropped my phone in water for about 3 seconds (it wasn't deep at all) and it had a protetive case on it. I put it in rice for 3 days. When I plug it into a charger the apple logo flashes. When I hold the home screen button down to put in recovery mode, it says connect to itunes. The problem is, it won't connect to iTunes. Like it won't show at all. And when I unplug it, the screen goes blank.

HELP.

iPhone 4S, iOS 7

Posted on Oct 5, 2013 8:30 PM

11 replies

Jan 1, 2014 10:27 PM in response to mum14

Same thing with my iPhone 5

1. Washed my phone with my clothes

2. Phone turned off by itself in the washer

3. Put phone on rice for a day and a half

4. Plugged phone in to wall and got one flash of apple logo, then nothing

5. Put iPhone back on rice for 2 more days

6. Plugged phone in to wall and got constant flashing apple logo, even after unplugging and plugging back in

7. Unplugged iPhone, connected cord to computer with itunes open. Held home button down while plugging cord into phone to put phone into restore mode.

8. Phone restored and is working now. Can make calls etc no problem all buttons work. Screen is slightly damaged.

Only problem is the battery doesnt seem to want to charge. Will update on that.

Jan 1, 2014 10:59 PM in response to ajaxed

Amazing it worked after washing it!! With all electronics if it gets wet then corrosion will build up inside. A bag of rice does not cure corrosion. The battery connector for your phone is probably so corroded that it wont take charge from battery.

You guys could do two things. One is to pay Apple and get a refurb. Or give me your broken phone since its useless to you anyway. 😝

Jan 14, 2014 10:39 AM in response to mum14

I had the same problem, Decided to wash my dirty Iphone 5 (AT&T). Well after 30 min in the water I decided that was long enough.

First if you have a warranty USE IT! or call apply and they will replace it for a $225.

If your like me, then your warranty is no good. So go for it then! if not its just a $$$$ paper weight.

Never try to apply power when wet.

open phone and disconnect battery ASAP. (most likely your battery is no good) if it feels soft then it is bad. Chemicals in the battery don't react well when there submerged in water. I had to replace my battery.This will take care of the Flashing Apple logo.

Next I completely disassembled my iphone, to dry it out. You can use a heat gun or hair dryer! (be careful).

If your lucky you have little to no corrosion damage.

You can give it a shot. My phone turned back on with a bunch of problems.

no working Wifi

no working Cellular

no working front camera

no working vibration

Yikes!!!!!

So I had a paper weight or a ipod now. So I got bold and said lets do this. I stripped down the EMI shielding and gave it a nice scrub bath with Electronic cleaner and 91% alcohol. I had lots of corrosion this was a very necessary step. I also stripped the camera apart and cleaned it with alcohol and dried it out very well. canned air and a heat gun.

So this step fixed the

Cellular and the

camera / flash

... now the vibration is not working, I checked the motor with a AAA battery and it spins. Not sure if its bad or the connection that runs it to the logic board. will shall see, I order one to replace it. As for the Wifi chip, I think the water destroyed it. I tried to heat it up and make sure all solder point were good. So I have order a new chip to replace it. I will update you later and let you know how that went.

parts

Cleaner $5.00

toothbrush $free -used a old one I had

vibration replacement $3.00

EMI shielding $1.50 ( you dont need it)

rear camera $11.00 (don't need it) spare

Wifi\bluetooth chip $5.00

Oh, Apple has built a awesome phone. So much easier to fix then the iphone 4's. If you haven't upgraded do it.

dropped phone in water/flashes apple logo/won't connect to itunes!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.