Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have just bought my MacBook Pro 15" Retina new this week. When storing the charger I wrapped it as described on the support page, but now I've noticed that in some places in the power cord (charger to MacBook) there are small lumps.

It looks like the strains are unwrapping in its isolating sleeve. By twisting the cord you can get the lump out, but when you then want to store it and wrap it around the charger the lumps come back because the cable is twisted in an other direction.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Oct 6, 2013 4:11 AM

5 replies

Oct 6, 2013 4:26 AM in response to Blijleven

IMHO the worst way to store, transport, any Mac notebook charger is to wrap the cord around the transformer block as described on the Apple website and documentation. This only leads to the cord braking and as you have noticed some lumps.

I wrap the cord around my hand loosely in big loops never putting any strain on either end of it. I also let the cord hang loose before I start wrapping it around my hand. This allows the cord to twist naturally as I wrap. When un-wrapping I also hold it up to let all the twists work there way out. This has worked for me with all the AC adapters for Mac computers I've owned.

Oct 6, 2013 8:51 AM in response to Blijleven

I also find letting the cable hang loose to unstrangle and then make larger loops in your hand the best way to store it. But it's an un-Applisch way of doing. Everything is a well thought of but the charger... A whole different story. The advised storage method decreases the lifespan of the charger. Is this something that I can get a warranty for if it brakes due to the done damage?

Oct 6, 2013 8:58 AM in response to Blijleven

As they said in the Movie "Its A Catcha 22". If and when the cord on the charger breaks Apple deems that Abusive treatment and Abusive treatment, accidental damage, is not covered by the warranty.

The only time the charger is replaced under the warranty is if it fails to supply power to the system and the cord or transformer brick has not been damaged in any way.

I have just bought my MacBook Pro 15" Retina new this week. When storing the charger I wrapped it as described on the support page, but now I've noticed that in some places in the power cord (charger to MacBook) there are small lumps.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.