Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone is synced with another iTunes library...but it's not.

The iPhone “xx iPhone 5s” is synced with another iTunes library on "xx MacBook Pro”. Do you want to erase this iPhone and sync with this iTunes library?

An iPhone can be synced with only one iTunes library at a time. Erasing and syncing replaces the contents of this iPhone with the contents of this iTunes library.

This is the error pop up message I have been receiving recently when trying to sync my new 5s to the one and only singular iTunes account I've ever had or used. I'm apprehensive to Erase and Sync which is one of two options given. The other is to Cancel.

Does anyone else have this problem? What will the erase and sync do? I have backup to iCloud and sync over wifi set up. I have not had this problem previously with several generations of iPhones.

What should I do? Thanks!

iPhone 5s, iOS 7

Posted on Oct 6, 2013 7:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 8, 2013 5:16 PM

I realized that since I recently purchased a new 5s that I had an active Apple warranty. I called customer support. The tier 1 person was of very little help and gave an inconsistent contradictory recommendation. I debated for quite some time before finally being escalated to a senior support person. They weren't able to give a concrete answer as to what was happening so I politely thanked them crossed my fingers and gave it a shot to complete the sync. I first did a backup then pulled the trigger. To my surprise and delight nothing bad happened and now it appears that my phone is directed to the iTunes Library that it always had been in the past.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 8, 2013 5:16 PM in response to BCmacD

I realized that since I recently purchased a new 5s that I had an active Apple warranty. I called customer support. The tier 1 person was of very little help and gave an inconsistent contradictory recommendation. I debated for quite some time before finally being escalated to a senior support person. They weren't able to give a concrete answer as to what was happening so I politely thanked them crossed my fingers and gave it a shot to complete the sync. I first did a backup then pulled the trigger. To my surprise and delight nothing bad happened and now it appears that my phone is directed to the iTunes Library that it always had been in the past.

Nov 10, 2013 3:50 AM in response to BCmacD

Thank you so much for posting on here, I too had the exact same problem. I had hooked up a new iphone 5s to my itunes and done the restore from my old iphone, all worked brilliantly, very smooth. Then when I went to start sorting out my "tones" and music from sync/manually manage, iTunes kept giving me this same error message that you described. I really didn't know what to do because I had only ever used this iTunes library, even on the old phone, and was very concerned that data or music library items were going to get wiped if I went ahead. After trying to do web research on it yesterday, and seeing people with slightly different problems e.g. their computer had broken or it had been stolen etc, I procrastinated overnight and then found your post this morning.

I did the backup and then went ahead - all is well! Many thanks :-)

iPhone is synced with another iTunes library...but it's not.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.