Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2006 iMac - Trouble with Mac OS X Reinstall

This has been a project a few months in the making now, but some time ago my Late 2006 Intel Core 2 Duo iMac died. It had another one of those fatal black rounded-square errors that requires a restart and every reboot after that would yield a "dong!" then the Apple logo, then a radial animation and then it would shut off.

I tried to get into the diagnostic tools which worked! So, I figured I would just do a fresh install (completely erase HD as well) since it was certainly getting on it years. Upon doing so, (mulitple, multiple) times, I managed to download the OS and reach about halfway completion--sometimes even actually 100%--yet a dialog would come up saying that "Mac OS X could not be installed." I should probably fetch the error message but sometimes it can take hours just to get to that point...

I have tried to install previous versions of the OS (10.6, 10.5, even the factory-shippped 104) all with their corresponding install disks with the same result. I even tried to make a bootable external HDD by installing OS X Lion or Snow Leopard from our other 2009 iMac running Mountain Lion, but there doesn't seem to be a way to install older versions of the OS from newer ones even if they are on a different partition.

Any thoughts on this? The 2009 iMac is my parents' and I would love to still be able to use my 2006 iMac while I wait for the Haswell rMBPs--and I have a real soft spot for it since it was my first mac... So any feedback would be awesome, even if you're having this issue too and you want to follow the thread.

Thanks!

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.5), Late 2006 Intel Core 2 Duo

Posted on Oct 6, 2013 8:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 6, 2013 8:57 AM

Sounds like the Hard Drive is failing and needs to be replaced.

Go to > Apple - Find Locations and make a service appointment.

6 replies

Oct 6, 2013 10:12 AM in response to den.thed

How would I isolate this issue? I'm very much comfortable with installing a new Hard Drive (I'll have to figure out getting an OS on a blank 500GB WD drive...) but I would want to try as much as possible to ensure this is the case... Suggestions?

EDIT: If I install a blank HD with Mac OS Journaled formatting, could I just use the Firmware on startup to install a supported version of Mac OS X?

Oct 6, 2013 11:34 AM in response to Dusseldorf

See > Starting from an external USB storage device (Intel-based Macs)

First you will need to put a bare drive into an enclosure or use a universal drive adapter.

Then you should be able to use the newer Mac, but you will have to install a compatable OS X for the 2006 from an Install Disc. (the original 10.4 or either one of the 10.5 10.6 Retail Upgrade DVDs)

1. Connect the External HD and open Disk Utility in your Utilities Folder.

2. Highlight the new HD in the list of drives and select the Partition tab.

3. Under Volume Scheme select 1 Partition and click on the Options... button.

4. Select GUID Partition Table in the drop down window and click OK.

5. Set the Format to Mac OS Extended (Journaled), name it and click the Apply button.

6. Once thats done, insert a compatable Install Disc and Install OS X on the Drive.

Next dissconnect the Drive from the newer Mac, connect it to your 2006 and startup holding the Option key.

After testing the new drive via USB, you should then be able to install it into the 2006.

Oct 6, 2013 12:16 PM in response to den.thed

I came up with exactly that idea BUT the issue is getting OS X 10.4,5,6 onto that external drive. Since I am running 10.8, the Mac I am using to install OS X onto the external drive will not allow me to open the installer app to put the older version of OS X onto the drive. Any other way I can get the installer on there without the ISO?

(Thank you so much for being so helpful and replying so quickly! Almost forgot how much I love these forums...)

2006 iMac - Trouble with Mac OS X Reinstall

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.