Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Multiple errors upgrading from snow leopard to mountain lion

While attempting to upgrade on an early 2008 Mac Pro, I received the "could not create recovery disk" error on install and had to abort the upgrade. I found online a suggestion of decreasing the size if the main partition (I have no other partitions on the system drive) by a little so that 10.8 can create the recovery drive. When I went I do this it started the process then gave me the error that "I need a newer version of OS X" to complete the task.

I can't create the partition 10.8 needs because I don't have 10.8?

I desperately need a workaround. Any insight would be greatly appreciated, I can offer more details if needed. I do know that the system drive is not a RAID volume, and apples page concerning this error didn't seem to apply to doing an upgrade like this.

Thanks all for your help!!

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Oct 6, 2013 8:46 AM

8 replies

Oct 6, 2013 9:00 AM in response to Esteban ferguson

The partitioning scheme is causing that problem. It also sounds like the drive may have problems. Run Repair Disk from Disk Utility on the hard drive (top level device in list) and the Volume (usually Macintos HD). If it shows any errors, run it again until you don't see any errors (even if it says it repaired them).

You can create a Recovery HD on a separate volume per this article: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4718

Once that is done, you should be able to install on the internal drive.

Oct 6, 2013 11:45 AM in response to Barney-15E

I followed these steps. install gave me the same errors. as far as creating a recovery system goes, since im in snow leopard, i could only intall mountain lion on an external drive. im not sure that really fulfilled the requirements of creating the recovery hd i needed, coulndt find instructions on simply creating a recovery HD on an eternal disk. i did also notice that my internal mac HD system drive is HSF+, or so it appears. could that be the trouble all along?

EDIT: Just reconfirmed as Macintosh HD - Mac OS Extended journaled), so scratch that. i guess im just having trouble "creating a recovery HD" i cannot get the recovery assistant app, because im on snow leopard

Oct 6, 2013 12:04 PM in response to Barney-15E

In what way should i create the partition on the internal drive? should I follow the same instructions as i did for the external partition I made? create the partition, select GUID and so on? Ill only need about 13 od 15 gb correct?

Thank you so much for your help, by the way, i consider myself quite computer literate, but im not familiar with how some of the internal systems are set up, and im easily frustrated. thank you thank you!

Multiple errors upgrading from snow leopard to mountain lion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.