Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Having problems with fingerprint recognition-any tips on how to get this feature to work consistantly?

I am having problems with the fingerprint sensor on the iPhone 5s consistantly recognizing my fingerprint. I unlocks perhaps one time in a hundred from my fingerprint. The other 99 times I have to key in my PIN. I have re-entered my finger print 3 times witht the same results. Any tips from others? Am I the only one with this problem?

iPhone 5s, iOS 7.0.2

Posted on Oct 6, 2013 9:00 AM

8 replies

Oct 8, 2013 8:36 AM in response to wlo21

Hi wlo21,

Welcome to the Support Communities!

The article below may be able to help you with this issue.

Click on the link to see more details and screenshots.

iPhone 5s: Using Touch ID

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5883

Troubleshooting Touch ID

1. Ensure that your fingers and the Home button are clean and dry.*
    Note: Cover the Home button completely. Don't tap too quickly, don't press down hard, and don't move your finger while Touch ID is scanning.
  2. Tap Settings > General > Passcode & Fingerprint > Fingerprints and verify:
  3. Passcode Unlock or iTunes & App Store is enabled.
  4. One or more fingerprints have been enrolled.
  5. If one finger isn't working, tap Edit in Settings > General > Passcode & Fingerprint > Fingerprints > Edit to delete and then reenroll the finger.
  6. If that finger still isn't working, try enrolling a different finger.
  7. If you are unable to enroll any of your fingers, take your iPhone 5s to an Apple Retail Store, Apple Authorized Service Provider, or contact AppleCare for further assistance.

iPhone 5s: About Touch ID security

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5949

Cheers,

- Judy

Oct 10, 2013 6:16 PM in response to judysings

I am also having some problems. It started very well, recognizing every single time the first few days. It didn't matter the positioning of the finger, how fast I put my figer, or other factors. I didn't thought about it and just worked. But lately is being very picky to recognize my fingterprints - sometimes only once in 3 or 5 times recognizing it, even if I changed finger. I tried removing the fingerprint I use moreand setting it again, but the unreliability persists. In fact it is not only one the fingerprint, it is all of them that often work. Often I need to try agian and again, or shift the finger for recognition. I wonder if the sensor is getting dirty or some other harwarde problem.

Any inisghts anybody?

Oct 11, 2013 7:37 AM in response to iphonefr

Thank you for all the input. So far nothing has solved the problem. I went through the suggestions in the Apple article in detail and re-entered my fingerprint per the instructions in the article. The iphone recognized my fingerprint about 50% of the time on the first day. This recognition rate declined in the following days until it did not recognize it at all. I then tried entering a second scan of my finger. This produced a 100% recognition rate the first day. Today is day 2 and the recognition rate is down to 50%. We will see where it is tomorrow,

The YouTube link in iphonefr's comment does not work so I can not comment on that.

Nov 15, 2013 5:22 AM in response to wlo21

Well, after trying all the fingers on both hands I tried the following. I used the thickest part of my thumb and I used all five fingerprints with the same finger. It seems to be working. I also turned on the feature that disables the motion and all seems OK. WHen I check which print is working it seems that the phone is using 4 and 5. So maybe this will help you?

Having problems with fingerprint recognition-any tips on how to get this feature to work consistantly?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.