Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I transfer my Quicken 2004 data from old MacBook to new Imac with Mountain Lion

I want to transfer my Quicken 2004 (upgraded to 2006) data from MacBook running OSX 10.5.8 to new Imac running Mountain Lion with Quicken 2007 Lion. How do I do this? I thought from what I've read on line that all I needed to do was upgrade the quicken to 2006 and then the data would be readable by Quicken 2007 Lion. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

iMac (USB 2.0), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Oct 6, 2013 10:57 AM

11 replies

Oct 6, 2013 2:01 PM in response to elcamera

What you have stated is accurate:

Use Quicken 2006 to open the 2004 data file and convert it to 2006 format. This step must be completed on your MacBook running Leopard OS X 10.5.8, as Rosetta is needed to run Quicken 2006.

Then the converted data file can be moved to your iMac running Mt. Lion and it will open in Quicken 2007 for Lion/Mt. Lion, which is available for download from Intuit for $15.

Oct 6, 2013 3:21 PM in response to Eric Root

I changed the extension on the exported file, and now the new quicken seems to recognize it. However, I get a warning that it can't import the file because there transactions that are too large (too much text in the split line detail, apparently). If I go through the painstaking process of changing those entries, do you think I will be able finish the import?

Oct 6, 2013 3:41 PM in response to elcamera

elcamera wrote:

I changed the extension on the exported file, and now the new quicken seems to recognize it. However, I get a warning that it can't import the file because there transactions that are too large (too much text in the split line detail, apparently). If I go through the painstaking process of changing those entries, do you think I will be able finish the import?

This is NOT an EXPORT/IMPORT workflow.

You simply open your Quicken 2004 data file in Quicken 2006 and it will automatically convert it to a Quicken 2006 data file. You then open the Quicken 2006 data file in Quicken 2007 for Lion/Mt. Lion.

If you are still unsuccessful, again, we need a step by step list of EXACTLY what you are doing. There is not much upside for us trying to guess what you are doing wrong...

Oct 6, 2013 4:16 PM in response to MlchaelLAX

Here is what I'm doing step by step:

Open Quicken 2006 (it did automatically convert the Quicken 2004 data)

I went to File> Export> All

Named the file "Copy of Quicken Data.qif" and saved it to the desktop of my MacBook.

At this point if I send the file as is it would not open on the other end saying that Power PC apps are not supported.

I discovered that if I go to File> Get Info in the Finder window before I send it and change the setting "Open with" from "Preview" to "Quicken 2006", that the file would be recognized by the new computer.

I send it to myself via email as an attachment, I save the attachment to the desktop of the Imac.

I open Quicken 2007 Lion

Go to File>Import>From QIF

Select "Copy of Quicken Data.qif"

It begins to download, then I get a warning

"Quicken is unable to import "Copy of Quicken Data.qif" becasue the transaction displayed below is too large... it goes on to say that there is possibly too much text in the split line detail etc.

Thanks for your time, any insights would be much appreciated.

Oct 6, 2013 4:40 PM in response to elcamera

OK: This information is VERY helpful! Note my comments below:

elcamera wrote:

Here is what I'm doing step by step:

Open Quicken 2006 (it did automatically convert the Quicken 2004 data) -- GOOD!

Do not do these steps

I went to File> Export> All

Named the file "Copy of Quicken Data.qif" and saved it to the desktop of my MacBook.

At this point if I send the file as is it would not open on the other end saying that Power PC apps are not supported.

I discovered that if I go to File> Get Info in the Finder window before I send it and change the setting "Open with" from "Preview" to "Quicken 2006", that the file would be recognized by the new computer.

Compress the converted Quicken 2006 data file by Control-Clicking on the converted Quicken 2006 data file and it should save with a .zip extension.

Send the automatically converted and compressed Quicken 2006 data file with the zip extension I send it to myself via email as an attachment, I save the attachment to the desktop of the Imac. Uncompress it by double-clicking it.

I open Quicken 2007 Lion

Go to File>Open File... Import>From QIF

Select the converted and uncompressed Quicken 2006 data file attachment that you saved to the desktop of the iMac and then uncompressed. "Copy of Quicken Data.qif"

It begins to download, then I get a warning

"Quicken is unable to import "Copy of Quicken Data.qif" becasue the transaction displayed below is too large... it goes on to say that there is possibly too much text in the split line detail etc.

It should open in Quicken 2007 for Lion/Mt. Lion

Thanks for your time, any insights would be much appreciated.

How do I transfer my Quicken 2004 data from old MacBook to new Imac with Mountain Lion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.