Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problem installing XQuartz on OsX 10.8.5

I have downloaded XQuartz from the apple recommended site (and others) but everytime I launch them, the installation freezes when it asks to choose a directory for the installation. Does anyone have a solution for this problem?

MacBook Pro (13-inch Early 2011), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Oct 6, 2013 10:47 AM

10 replies

Feb 13, 2014 12:55 AM in response to moejmac

If I update to Mavericks I would lose some of necessary applications that aren't compatible with OS 10.9, and I'd probably have to buy a new printer since Canon tells me my driver probably won't work with OS 10.9.

However, I think I've found a way to install XQuartz on OS 10.8.5 Mountain Lion, and maybe other versions of OS 10.8 as well.

First, I downloaded a shareware extractor app called PACIFIST for Mac (Google it). It easily unpacked the XQuartz installer into a folder containing the XQuartz application and several other items.

I put the XQuartz app in the Utilities folder in Applications and the 2 Launch files in their respective folders in the Library.

However, there are 2 other folders labeled "opt" and "private" that I don't recognize and can't figure out where they go.

If someone knows where to put these folders, this could be a simple solution to everyone's problem installing Xquartz on OS 10.8.

Thanks!

Problem installing XQuartz on OsX 10.8.5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.