Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac suddenly fails to recognize my Apple bluetooth keyboard

My old wired keyboard works fine. No damage is visible. New batteries don't help. It connects to my iPad just fine, but not the iMac running OSX10.8.5 Mountain Lion. in System Preferences>keyboard> Bluetooth keyboard search does not find a keyboard. Wireless mouse works fine.

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Oct 6, 2013 1:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 6, 2013 5:04 PM

First make sure the batteries aren't dead and that the keyboard hasn't already been paired with another device. If it hasn't, the keyboard should pair automatically when you reboot. You may have to press and hold the power button on the right side of an Apple keyboard until the LED starts flashing.

Otherwise see these support articles:

Mac mini (Mid 2011 and later) and iMac (Late 2012): Bluetooth keyboard may not pair during Setup Assistant

Apple Wireless Keyboard: Difficulty during pairing process

Unreliable wireless performance may occur when USB 3.0 external devices are close

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 6, 2013 5:04 PM in response to Atkinsj

First make sure the batteries aren't dead and that the keyboard hasn't already been paired with another device. If it hasn't, the keyboard should pair automatically when you reboot. You may have to press and hold the power button on the right side of an Apple keyboard until the LED starts flashing.

Otherwise see these support articles:

Mac mini (Mid 2011 and later) and iMac (Late 2012): Bluetooth keyboard may not pair during Setup Assistant

Apple Wireless Keyboard: Difficulty during pairing process

Unreliable wireless performance may occur when USB 3.0 external devices are close

iMac suddenly fails to recognize my Apple bluetooth keyboard

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.