Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

10.6.8 to 10.8 after software update??

My neighobur called me over to see her iMac because apps were quiting unexpectedly. She told me she had a software update the night before.

In doing a problem solving process I checked her system software and it was 10.8. Didn't occur to me until after hours of searching for other problems, that her current software was 10.6.8.

How in the world did she get 10.8 installed as the current software from an update? All of the installed applications were non functional after this update. I had to back up her HDD to an external I had (she had no time machine) then erase, reformat and reinstall 10.6.8 from her disc.

Anyone else heard of this issue? Was it a fubar update from Apple or something else? It just doesn't seem possible to go from Snow Leopard to Lion from an Apple update.

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5), iMac 10.8.2; Macbook 10.6; iPad2

Posted on Oct 6, 2013 2:05 PM

3 replies

Oct 7, 2013 10:37 AM in response to Tlix

Thanks for the suggestion(s). These are senior people and very cautious about purchasing anything online.

I will check with her about her account and purchaseses, however it is highly unlikely she purchased it without me being involved.

She was ready to write to Tim Cook!

I guess I'll try to send this problem to Support and have them look into it. This iMac of hers has been the most problematic Apple product I have ever dealt with.

10.6.8 to 10.8 after software update??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.