Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Chamfer Completely Gone on Silver iPhone 5, Is This Normal?

My iPhone 5's Chamfer is almost gone on one side. While it has been reported on black model, I have not seen anything about chamfer chipping away on silver aluminium model.

User uploaded file

As you can see in the photo above, at bottom on one end, the shine is gone, meaning the chamfer has completley chipped away. The sides still have some chamfer, but it is so thin that shine is not even visible.

User uploaded file

Is this completley normal after one year? I have a black iPad mini, which is now close to one year old, which still has all its chamfer in place, abit some chipped, but not to the point that the shine is completely gone. Should I take it to Apple store to see if anything can be done to rechamfer the device?

iPhone 5, iOS 7.0.2

Posted on Oct 6, 2013 4:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 6, 2013 6:23 PM

Your iPhone looks like it has lived a hard life. Do you stuff it in your pocket with a box of rocks?

I doubt it can be "re-chamfered," though someone with moderate skills may be able to buff it a bit smoother. Though it won't be anodized which means it will oxidize still.

p.s. Go Ducks ;-)

1 reply

Chamfer Completely Gone on Silver iPhone 5, Is This Normal?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.