Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Jumping from FCP 7 to FCP 10?

I'm looking for the FCP X protocol that comes as close as possible to what I do normally in FCP 7 or Premier or Avid. If such a thing exists. Even a pointer to where I can find this in the manual would be most appreciated.

In FCP 7:

I put all my shots in the bin. But I work mostly with sequences. I bring all the shots for a scene immediatly from the bin to the sequence. Then I go through the clips, bopping the 'selected' or desired clips up to track 2 on the timeline. Then I delete track 1 and bring all my chosen clips from track 2 down to track 1. Then I group clips that look like they will go well together, leaving spaces between the different groups. Then at the head of the timeline I start the real cut ... grabbing the very best shots from my different groupings and bringing then to the actual scene which I'm constructing at the head of the timeline. When I've got a fairly good cut at the front end of the timeline, I just delete all the extraneous groups and clips further down the timeline. Later, when I'm refining the scene, or adding sound FX, I'll bring in the shot or sound FX onto the timeline AFTER the sequence, then place it where it needs to be IN the sequence. So I'm using the empty space on the timeline as a tool for organizing. Much faster than using the 'bin' for selecting and rough-cutting the clips. Much.

In FCP 10:

How do I group a bunch of clips, and have them placedso I can quickly scroll through them ... looking for specific shots, or pre-cutting a shot to length ... that I can then bring into my 'scene' that I'm editing? I can't see how to make multiple 'sequences'. Or how to make multiple 'bins'.

It seems in FCP 10 I've got one track to work with. And one bin. I can't easily make 'groupings of clips' because all clips immediately glom together on the sequence timeline. What would the FCP 10 protocol be, or where might I find a tutorial or manual description that is specific to this issue?

All ears ...

Ben

MacBook Pro (15-inch Glossy), Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Oct 6, 2013 5:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 6, 2013 6:21 PM

Hard to know where to start. Your tutorial idea is very smart. There are many very good ones… by top contributor, Tom Wolsky, Ripple Training, Lynda.com, Larry Jordan and many others. Do search and try their sample movies to get a sense of which you can relate to best.

FCPX doesn't have any tracks – nor does it have bins. So organization and workflow is different than whta you're used to.

You would have to work differently, and learn at least the basics, but what you need to do you can easily accomplish on FCPX The best way to find out whether you are comfortable with those differences is to get one of the tutorials and download the trial.

Good luck.

Russ

PS, If you're experienced with AVID, FCP legacy, Pr, why the interest in FCPX?

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 6, 2013 6:21 PM in response to Ben Low

Hard to know where to start. Your tutorial idea is very smart. There are many very good ones… by top contributor, Tom Wolsky, Ripple Training, Lynda.com, Larry Jordan and many others. Do search and try their sample movies to get a sense of which you can relate to best.

FCPX doesn't have any tracks – nor does it have bins. So organization and workflow is different than whta you're used to.

You would have to work differently, and learn at least the basics, but what you need to do you can easily accomplish on FCPX The best way to find out whether you are comfortable with those differences is to get one of the tutorials and download the trial.

Good luck.

Russ

PS, If you're experienced with AVID, FCP legacy, Pr, why the interest in FCPX?

Oct 6, 2013 6:39 PM in response to Russ H

I've got FCP X, and I'm trying to figure it out to help a friend ... so he can use it. I use FCP 7 for all my own films, sometimes Premier. But love FCP 7, with Color, and use Logic for more elaborate sound mixing and processing.

I don't think I'm going to like FCP X. My head can't quite get around the 'logic' of it. I work on a lot of full blown feature docs, and I can't imagine managing the massive amount of media in FCP X. It's cute though, to look at. But right now I'm going nuts just trying to cut a three minute piece. Mostly coz I can't figure out how to 'collect' the shots I want to use, in groups ... not to mention how simple it is to do an A track (interview) with B camera in FCP 7. This would take me twenty minutes or less to cut a three minute piece.

Thanks for your suggestions Russ. I'm surprised Apple doesn't have the basic tutorials on their support site. Especially when there is so much controversy about trashing FCP Studio. Corporate logic completely eludes me.

Much appreciated, all the best,

Ben

Oct 6, 2013 7:04 PM in response to Ben Low

FCPX is actually suited for organizing lots of footage. Most people keep all media for a project in a single event, although some will use multiple events.

The skimmer in X is a very efficient tool for quickly reviewing clips – an improvement over scrubbing. And the jkl keys work the same as other NLRs for finer navigation.

Range selections (setting in and out points) to define and create sub-clips are similar (not identical) to how it works in FCP7.

Keywords and ratings are the other primary way of organizing footage. One can review clips and keyword them according to any number of criteria – talent's name, close-up, wide shot, etc – and pit them into collections. The difference with keyword collections and bins is that in X a clip selection can be in multiple collections – depending on how many ways one describes it.

Russ

Oct 6, 2013 7:48 PM in response to Russ H

Funny thing. I got your response via email, but when I get back to the discussion, it isn't here ... not coming up on my system. So I copied your comments.

I'm playing with it. Got a Larry Jordon tutorial. Very good tutorial. Yay for Larry. But I can see me and FCP X are not made for each other. I never have to name my clips. I find that kind of editing way too slow. I just work with sequences ... scenes. Never have to name anything. But I'm usually editing my own films, or if I'm editing for another director he/she seems delighted to not have to sit through an endless screening/naming process. Zing zing zing and we're cutting scenes. I block each scene on a separate timeline. So I end up with a library of sequences/timelines. As I refine down to the best material I make copies of the timelines ... named 'title - selects 1, 2, 3' depending on how refined I need to get. That way if I need to back up, I just open a less-refined version of the sequence, with more clips. Super fast.

I report back after I play a bit more. Maybe something will happen to change my opinion. I'm game.

FCPX is actually suited for organizing lots of footage. Most people keep all media for a project in a single event, although some will use multiple events.

The skimmer in X is a very efficient tool for quickly reviewing clips – an improvement over scrubbing. And the jkl keys work the same as other NLRs for finer navigation.

Range selections (setting in and out points) to define and create sub-clips are similar (not identical) to how it works in FCP7.

Keywords and ratings are the other primary way of organizing footage. One can review clips and keyword them according to any number of criteria – talent's name, close-up, wide shot, etc – and pit them into collections. The difference with keyword collections and bins is that in X a clip selection can be in multiple collections – depending on how many ways one describes it.

Russ

Oct 7, 2013 8:33 AM in response to Ian R. Brown

I will make an effort, for sure Ian.

I can see a lot of the smaller chores being fun. I can't quite figure out how it will work for managing a huge pile of files without doing the whole naming process, which I've always detested ... even as far back as actual film and Steenbecks, even Moviolas. Those 2-4 months of cataloguing everything before even beginning to cut ... I'm glad I wasn't an editor then.

Okay. So I'm drinking my litre of water on an empty stomach to start my day. Will give FCP X a half hour. Then go to my REAL work, on FCP 7, for the next eight hours.

Will report back ...

B

Thanks for the encouragment...

Oct 7, 2013 9:35 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

Hi Tom,

I just use sequences. (And I do name them.) After trying dozens of different ways to edit over the years I've found this way to be the fastest, and most efficient:

First... in the Capture Scratch folder I batch rename the camera's numbered clips using 'NameChanger' (great app) before dragging them into the FCP bin.

In the FCP Bin I create a sequence, open it, drag in all the shots related to that scene/sequence.

I name the sequence, but don't touch it, just close it.

Then I duplicate the sequence - appending 'selects 1' to the title name. I rarely need more than two duplicate 'selects'. I skim through the clips in the 'selects 1' sequence, bopping all the preffered shots to track two. Then delete track one. Drag the chosen best shots down to track one again.

If it's a big complicated squence, I'll repeat the process in a 'selects 2' sequence; just refining further. This way whenever I remember a shot that wasn't good enough in my original selections, but later proves to make sense to the story ... I can back up to a less refined 'selects' sequence and find it very quicly. Or even go right back to the original sequence that has ALL the shots.

Once I've got all my selected best shots in a sequence I rename that sequence to 'Title (of the sequence) - edit'. And edit the sequence. I usually use the color coding at this time. Once a sequence is reasonably well cut, with a fairly well mixed soundtrack ...

Then I take the dozen or so sequences that make up an ACT ONE or a 'Chapter 1,2,3, etc.' of the film, and put them together in a new sequence, that represents that 'ACT'. (I use Chapters often in docus, coz long docs are often more complex than a standard Act 1,2,3.)

At this point I may send out my sound tracks to Logic to do a sound mix. I've used SoundTrack Pro too - Logic has more sophisticated plug-ins. Then I bring the mixed stereo or 5.1 surround back into the ACT ONE or TWO or THREE sequence.

Only then do I put all the ACTS onto a single timeline to make up the full film itself.

By the time I get to having the whole film on a single timeline each of its parts (ACTS, SEQUENCES) is pretty smoothly edited. If there are some timing issues or any new editing is required I always go back to the original ACTS timelines ... or even the original SEQUENCES timelines if it is extensive. I rarely mess with the full film on a timeline. I find it is just too slow, clumsy and dangerous ... a timeline with hundreds of stacked clips to wrangle and watch out for ... ouch.

If I use FCP Color I will use it at the ACTS stage. This seems to be more manageable than trying to run an entire film through at once.

I've yet to find a faster way to edit. But I'm going to mess with FCP X, cut a short film, see if I can understand it well enough to make a comparison. Maybe it'll be faster...

I'll report back...

All the best, Ben

Oct 7, 2013 9:56 AM in response to Ben Low

First... in the Capture Scratch folder I batch rename the camera's numbered clips using 'NameChanger' (great app) before dragging them into the FCP bin.

So in 7 you captured in one project, renamed the clips, and then reconnected or just went into another project and reimported. This won't work or only very clumsily in FCPX.

In the FCP Bin I create a sequence, open it, drag in all the shots related to that scene/sequence.

You can't do this in the current version of FCP as projects (sequences) are not inside events (projects). They're wholly separate. There is a technique that uses compound clips to act as projects and to edit these inside an event, using the compound clip as a sequence. This may suit you.

The project (sequence) workflow can be used in FCP in a similar fashion to the way you work. I've worked once or twice like this and found it worked for certain types of projects, but not very often. It seems to fall between a fully scripted workflow and a fully unstructrued workflow that is common to documentary work, where the structure of the proram is built in post.

You need to find someone who knows the application well, sit with them, show them what you're doing, and have them show you how to do something similar in FCP. Simply doing tutorials may not help you because most are geared to a more conventional workflow, either scripted production like narrative fiction, or unstructured assembly for media, where organization to find content is paramount.

Oct 7, 2013 11:01 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

Hi Tom,

Thank you for that. I'm perusing the tutorial choices. Larry J., Lynda.com etc. I can see this will take me a few days to get familiar with. Have you come across any tutorial programs that I can just buy outright and download? At teast the basics. I'm not sure I want to get into subscriptions.

I'm already seeing how fast the editing process can be in FCP X. Now if I can just figure out file managing process.

And multi-tracking for sound editing.

Intriguing stuff.

It'll have to be a hobby for awhile as I've got two large films already on the go in the old FCP 7. Converting them over would be impossible.

All the professional editors I know are either still in FCP 7 or have moved to competition. Haven't met one who's using FCP X. And you're right, that's what I would love, to be able to sit with someone editing ... just watch over his or her shoulder. I learn quite fast. Sometimes the slow & steady of the tutorials is exasperating.

Thanks for your help Thom, always very much appreciated...

Ben

Jumping from FCP 7 to FCP 10?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.