Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does Mac Mini support Virtualized Intel VT-x/EPT

I downloaded VMWare Fusion 6.0 as I wanted to create a Windows 8 64 bit VM in order to run the Windows Phone 8 SDK emulator. During the setup of the VM I checked the enable VT-x/EPT that is required for Hyper-V for the emulator to run in the Windows 8 OS. I received the message 'Virtualized Intel VT-x/EPT is not supported on this platform'. I figured I will have to invest in a new machine, I currently have the 2010 Mac Mini 4.1 Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.4 GHz. Would it be safe to assume that all new Mac Mini's would support VT-x/EPT or is a specific processor required?

Mac mini, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Oct 6, 2013 6:15 PM

9 replies

Jul 6, 2015 3:56 AM in response to hongkonggarden

The issue is that you are trying to run a VM inside a VM, that is you are trying to run Hyper-V inside a VM. This is not supported and I believe most permutations of trying to run a VM inside a VM even if both are Windows would have the same problem.

If you want to use Hyper-V you will need to install it via Boot Camp. This will result in Hyper-V running directly on the Mac hardware i.e. bare to the metal. Hyper-V can then host its own VMs in this case the Windows Phone 8 SDK emulator. You could then run multiple Windows 8 instances via Hyper-V via Boot Camp. In your case Hyper-V would be running Windows 8 itself, and the Windows Phone 8 SDK emulator.

The same would apply for example to trying to run VMware ESXi, this also has to be installed and run directly and not inside a virtual environment.

In case you are unaware of the difference Boot Camp is not a virtualisation solution it is a way of running Windows operating systems directly on Mac hardware just as if it was a real PC. Desktop Virtualisation solutions are VMware Fusion, Parallels, or Virtualbox. Hypervisors are a different type of virtualisation more commonly used on a server type box to run multiple server VMs. Hyper-V and ESXi are examples of Hypervisors.

Boot Camp itself is free and is included on your Mac. It does support Windows 8 and 8.1. (I have also used it successfully to run the Windows 10 preview.)

Jul 6, 2015 7:05 AM in response to John Lockwood

I think you are wrong... I run in W7pro - vmware player 7 W81pro and have emulator worked just find in VS2013...

I HAD 4 CORES i5 processor and also 2 core host 2 core guest...

In W81pro ran W10pro VM same PC (I upgraded to W81pro from W7pro) and also run emulators

I think you have to disable Hyper-V in host PC to run VMware player 7.

I think you have to enable VT-x/EPT in vmware VM W10PRO.

i THINK YOU MUST RE-ENABLE Hyper-V in host PC to run EMULATORS IN HOST PC, NOT IN GUEST VM.

CAN DO THE SAME IN MAC MINI OR MACBOOK PRO....?

Oct 8, 2015 4:35 AM in response to lsepcyeu

There is no issue with running VMware just like any other application, including other emulators, so you're not really achieving anything extra-ordinary here.

Usually on a PC, you can get into BIOS settings and enable Intel VT to allow VMs to access hardware directly, rather than via the system OS. From my understanding, Hyper-V or VSphere Hypervisors require Intel-VT or equivalent in order to run - I may be wrong here.

By the way, John Lockwood is correct... Boot Camp allows you to multi-boot other OS's (Linux, Windows), either on a separate partition on the Mac's HDD or on an external drive. VM apps like Fusion and Parallels have the ability to access the files in the BootCamp partitions and mount them in a "Virtual Machine mode.".. so I think that could be how others have mistaken Boot Camp for a VM App.

Hope that all helps.

Oct 8, 2015 4:58 AM in response to lsepcyeu

The Mac hardware does support VT-x see Intel-based Macs: Using VT-x virtualization technology - Apple Support

I believe the Mac hardware also supports VT-x/EPT.

Remember that for years now Macs have effectively been using exactly the same chip sets as traditional PCs.

The issue is whether your choice of Virtualisation software you are using supports nested VMs. VMware ESXi does even when running on a Mac, see

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:n1El74ZEAMUJ:https://commun ities.vmware.com/message/2368045+&cd=3&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk&client=safari

As far as I can see running a VM inside a VM would be exactly equivalent to running running Hyper-V inside a VM.

It is not clear if standard VMware Fusion does support 'nested' VMs, or whether Parallels does or whether VirtualBox does. It maybe that the 'pro' version of VMware Fusion does and the standard one does not.

To summarise this is a software issue.

Oct 8, 2015 5:28 AM in response to John Lockwood

So bootcamp can used with windows or linux in external usb hdd or usb stick? If that's correct please give urls guide setup, and in what step choose ext device?

I must install bootcamp, after windows in bootcamp in ext usb stick or hdd and after install vmware fusion pro and after link to bootcamp vm from fusion?

What if hdd ext not connected have bootcamp install in?

Oct 8, 2015 6:42 AM in response to lsepcyeu

I am not sure what Boot Camp has to do with the original issue being discussed in this thread. The original issue is to do with running Hyper-V in Windows in a VM on a Mac.

However if you are interested in running Boot Camp with an external drive I suggest you move to a different thread like the following.

How to run Boot Camp on External Hard Drive?

Does Mac Mini support Virtualized Intel VT-x/EPT

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.