Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mouse click virus? 2 macs!

Didn't know where to post this.

I have two macs. A MacBook air & an iMac both running the latest version of the OS

Yesterday the mouse on the iMac stopped working. What I mean is it would move. But it wouldn't CLICK

I tried several different mice. No luck.

So I used the laptop to access the iMac & backed stuff up, etc.

Today the trackpad on the MacBook had the same problem. Move but no click.

I hooked up some mice via USB. No good same problem.

This is just too much of a coincidence.

HAS THIS HAPPENED TO ANYONE ELSE? Is it solvable?

Thank goodness for the iPad with which I'm able to post this.

Posted on Oct 6, 2013 6:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 6, 2013 7:21 PM

You could try using the Keyboard shortcusts found in http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1343 to trash the mouse plists

~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.driver.AppleBluetoothMultitouch.trackpad.plist

~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.driver.AppleHIDMouse.plist

~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.driver.AppleBluetoothMultitouch.mouse.plist

These three influence mouse activity.

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 6, 2013 7:21 PM in response to nowsthetime

You could try using the Keyboard shortcusts found in http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1343 to trash the mouse plists

~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.driver.AppleBluetoothMultitouch.trackpad.plist

~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.driver.AppleHIDMouse.plist

~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.driver.AppleBluetoothMultitouch.mouse.plist

These three influence mouse activity.

Oct 7, 2013 6:06 AM in response to Barney-15E

I always keep current. Sometimes a mistake but Actually I misspoke. I upgraded iTunes.

I managed to trash all the mouse prefs & everything is working again on both machines (thanks AlRoRo) & also set up the iMac to be controlled by voice. I've also upgraded a few apps but I forget which. I guess I should keep a journal of that stuff.

Oct 7, 2013 9:09 PM in response to Barney-15E

I tried booting in safe mode. Also repaired permissions & reset pram.

Nothing worked. I pulled the plug & removed all peripherals. When I restarted the following day the problem was gone so I quick trashed the prefs as described above by AlRoRo.

Then I ran mackeeper which found 45 instances of malware which I also trashed. We'll see.

Oct 8, 2013 4:30 PM in response to Barney-15E

Barney-15E wrote:

Search for it on these forums. It won't take long to find out why.

Also, anything the purports to clean, maintain, protect, optimize, or speed up your Mac will do the opposite. Nothing is needed. Your Mac will run fine without you interfering with its operation.

I'll second that... MacKeeper is the closest thing to a "virus" I've ever seen for Mac OS X. If I ever met the person who developed it, I'd slap him/her as hard as I could.

Oct 22, 2013 12:12 PM in response to nowsthetime

I had the same problem after updating my MBP. I tried resetting pram, uninstalling a couple apps I thought may be causing a problem (AirParrot. had issues with it before) and a few other things but nothing worked.

After seeing airoro's suggestion about deleting the PLISTs, I knew I probably had the answer. (felt dumb for not thinking of it myself) and it indeed worked after a restart. Many thanks airoro. I was starting to worry I had a hardware issue with my mbp but all is well now.

Mouse click virus? 2 macs!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.