Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do I delete email messages permanently in mail on Mac OS x 7 in one step

I am used to MS Outlook where I can press shift-delete and delete them permanently in one step. On my Mac, I am currently deleting mail which puts it in the trash folder then I have to go through it and delete them again to permanently get rid of them. There must be some short cut for the Mac that I don't know about.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Oct 6, 2013 7:13 PM

4 replies

Apr 27, 2015 1:46 PM in response to Lmcburney

Came up with a very good workaround to this problem, as I have the same issue. (babowa does not answer your question, and Steve Dillon's solution no longer works.) I switched things around so that I only send messages I DO NOT WANT TO KEEP to the Trash mailbox, which I empty periodically. I then created a new mailbox folder (I call mine Read Messages). Once created, I select this mailbox folder and, from the menu bar, select Mailbox/Use This Mailbox As/Archive Folder. Any messages in my Inbox that I want to save are placed into the Archive folder using the Archive button (Mail version 8.2). Hope this helps!

how do I delete email messages permanently in mail on Mac OS x 7 in one step

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.