Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

usb hub mixes up hard drives!

anyone else seeing this problem? i've got an anker usb 3.0 powered hub into which i've pluged several western digital 2t hard drives. i have a desktop imac running os x 10.8.5. here's my problem: since installing this hub, several applications (notably itunes, superduper! backup software, and time capsule) seem to be confused about which hd is which.

example: one of the hds is a backup of my itunes media hd, and every once in a while itunes decides to use *that* drive — or one of the others i have plugged in — as the current location for my media files (despite being set differently in itunes preferences). this has of course created an itunes library with files all over the place, but the confusion is so bad, even resetting itunes to "keep itunes media library organized" doesn't work.

examples: i use superduper! to auto back up my main drive to a hd called "main drive 2" and i use time machine to back up my main drive to a hd called "time machine"; however, every once in a while, superduper! decides to use "time machine" and time machine wil use "main drive 2."

it's as if the hub is just mixing up which drives are which, and passing this mixed-up information back to apps.

has anyone seen this behavior before? i'm assuiming it's the hub, since the appearance of the problem *roughly* corresponds to when i started using the new hub. HOWEVER, occasionaly one of the mixed up hds is one that is plugged directly into my imac, so i'm worried the problem goes beyond the hub.

anyway, any help in this area would be greatly appreciated. thanks!

iMac / iBook / iPhone, Mac OS X (10.5.2)

Posted on Oct 6, 2013 11:56 PM

4 replies

Oct 7, 2013 12:46 AM in response to markmal

It is very probably the hub. That it also happens after you connect the drive directly is not "strange" : the Superduper and especially TM not just use the name of the drive but also use some hidden files to identify the disk they work on. So after some "mistakes" these files are not only for the intended drive but also for the drive that they took by mistake. These files have some connected "brother" files on the system disk. I am not sure how to solve this. An smc reset may temporarily help, but don't give that too much hope.

Oct 7, 2013 2:31 AM in response to markmal

Not different. The supplemental update a.o. targets the freezing after awakening from sleep. You probably already have it see "About this Mac" the OS is number (12F45).

If you ever suspect that an update has not been correctly applied, do not install it again, but install the Combo Update, which corrects all fallen bits of all updates, in this case the 10.8.5 Combo:

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1676

usb hub mixes up hard drives!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.