Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I avoid using data while it's on?

Well, the obvious answer would be to just turn off data, but that doesn't work for me because it needs to be on in order to use picture messaging, so I'm wondering how I can leave data on in order to use that one function, but make sure that no other apps quietly go and use data without me knowing. I don't actually have a data plan so even using a just a bit will cost me a lot, so that's why I want to avoid it. For instance, could the ios choose to update apps without asking me? Could weather get updated without me asking if I forget and leave it running in the background?

Posted on Oct 7, 2013 8:16 AM

24 replies

Oct 7, 2013 10:50 AM in response to chattphotos

So if I accidentally open Maps or if it was left open when on wifi, then could it start using data because it has no option to switch it off?

I don't see an option in Messages or Icloud to turn off data. I don't want to turn off Icloud syncing, becasue I want it to sync when it's on wifi, so will it try to sync by itelf using data? Also, I suppose I need messages on data to send a picture message (which doesn't actually get charged as data).

Oct 7, 2013 12:02 PM in response to KiltedTim

So if there isn't an option for icloud sync method, then I presume it's going to use data when it needs to sync, like if I update an address or something that is syncing with icloud. That's not good. Not sure how using a different carrier would help as the issue is the same with anyone.

Re: settings - cellular: Nope, there is only one setting there, for passbook. Nothing else.

Thanks for the suggestion to subscribe to a data plan, but that's not what I'm asking. I don't have a data plan and I don't want one. I am fine with wifi, I just want it to not use data without my knowledge. With respect, KiltedTim, I totally disagree with you about the usefulness of an iphone without a data plan. Maybe you were just being sarcastic.

Oct 7, 2013 12:52 PM in response to Cartoonguy

Cartoonguy wrote:

Well, the obvious answer would be to just turn off data, but that doesn't work for me because it needs to be on in order to use picture messaging,

Leave it off until you want to send picture messaging (MMS), then turn it back off.

Are you sending that many MMS that you need to leave data on?

If so, it would be far less expensive to get a data plan.

What carrier do you have that you do not have a data plan with your iPhone?

Oct 7, 2013 1:35 PM in response to joshua274

Yeah, Joshua expressed it well and Tim, you are factually wrong to say that a carrier does not permit the use of an Iphone without data. My family using three of them and my carrier (Bell, in Canada) is fully aware of it. They won't supply one on a subsidized contract without data, but no stopping me buying one (used) like I did and using it with all the love and support we expect from our cell phone service provider.

Oct 7, 2013 1:42 PM in response to Chris CA

Yeah, true, I can switch data off and on when I need to, but even then, concerned that it starts using data to sync to icloud. Without a plan, any use is $20 minimum, so obviously want to avoid ending up paying $20 just to send one picture because the iphone chooses to use data without me knowing it while I have it switched on for that short time.

I think any carrier would allow you to stick your sim card in any phone and just use it. This is not unusual.

Oct 7, 2013 2:12 PM in response to Cartoonguy

Without a plan, any use is $20 minimum, so obviously want to avoid ending up paying $20 just to send one picture

You cannot avoid a $20 charge to send one picture (unless you send the pictures as iMessage over wifi). Picture text messages are sent as MMS, which is data. If you have a text messaging play, it usually includes MMS (which doesn't count as data).

If you sent one picture, it would cost you $20. This covers the first 1GB of data

Using any other data would not cost more until you hit 1GB then it is $0.05 per MB.

-> http://www.bell.ca/Bell_Mobility_Terms_of_service#Pricing

And what do you think is syncing with iCloud? Not much.

Calendars & Contacts but only stuff that cahnges.

Photo stream is wifi only.

Oct 7, 2013 2:18 PM in response to Chris CA

Tim, you are missing the point. I'm looking to use picture messaging without a data plan. I don't need to learn to live with the limitation. That's just what I want to do. Why should I have to pay for data when I don't want to use any data? You seem caught up with the idea that I should just pay for it anyway, but that's not what I'm asking here.

Chris, my Bell plan allows picture messaging, which does indeed require data, but they don't charge for that data use. That's just the deal. Unlimited free picture messaging included, but no data.

How can I avoid using data while it's on?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.