Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can't reset pw on 10.5 w/ disc or without (tried all methods/tips listed here)

I have a MacBook pro running 10.5.2 which crashed. My cousin gave me an old HD from one of his old machines and now it works great but he can't remember the admin password (even with the hint- ugg). That means I can't make any changes (like upgrading the browser, or upgrading the OS). Anyway, I have the startup disc and tried using the methods given online for starting up when you have the disc but what I get doesn't match what the instructions say should show up (ie I don't get an option of 'utilities'. When I simply hit install it is requiring the admin password so obviously that doesn't work.

Then I tried the single user mode many times and that isn't working. I'm having trouble telling where there are spaces in some of the commands and where there aren't spaces (eg "mount -uw <space>/" or without the space.

I am so frustrated that I have the install disc and still can't get in that I can't stand it!!!

Help please!

MacBook Pro, iOS 5

Posted on Oct 7, 2013 8:58 AM

1 reply

Oct 7, 2013 5:09 PM in response to WeatherorNot

Hello,

1. Insert the Mac OS X Install disc, then restart the computer while holding the C key.

2. When your computer finishes starting up from the disc, choose Utilities from the Installer menu at the top of the screen. (In Mac OS X 10.4 or later, you must select your language first.)

Important: Do not click Continue in the first screen of the Installer. If you do, you must restart from the disc again to access the Menubar at top.

1. Insert the Mac OS X Install disc, then restart the computer while holding the C key.

2. When your computer finishes starting up from the disc, choose Reset Password from the Installer menu at the top of the screen. (In Mac OS X 10.4 or later, you must select your language first.)

Important: Do not click Continue in the first screen of the Installer. If you do, you must restart from the disc again to access Reset Password.

Space between mount & -uw, space between -uw & the /

rm /var/db/.applesetupdone

Space after rm, before the 1st /

can't reset pw on 10.5 w/ disc or without (tried all methods/tips listed here)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.