Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't download individual podcast episodes - always streams

First - hate the podcast app. I removed it in iOS 6 and used the mud pic app. That's no linger an option.

In the podcast Store, when I click the down arrow to download an individual podcast, it starts trying to stream. It then asks about turning on cellular data. If I say no, the app locks up EVERY time.

But all I want to do is download to play later. This is for podcasts that I don't want to subscribe to.

I used to manage my podcasts via iTunes in my computer, but I can't figure out how to see new episodes of podcasts I don't dang to subscribe to (but still have in my iTunes podcast library). So I'm trying to figure it out via the app.

This thing was a disaster when it came out and now that it's been revised, it's a new kind of disaster.

How can I download individual podcasts w/o subscribing?!

iPhone 5 w/iOS 7

Posted on Oct 7, 2013 8:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 15, 2013 9:20 AM

Here's my answer to your question about downloading single-episode podcasts to your computer, which is something I do ocassionally.

1. Go to the iTunes store (maybe that's different than the podcast store?) and find the podcast. A list of available episodes pops up

2. On the far right of the episode listing is a "free" button, press that and the episode starts downloading (assuming that you're already signed into the store)

3. It shows up in your podcast list under the name of the series. There will be a "subscribe" button next to the name of the series, but your individual episode is there and ready to to play.

As you can tell by this explanation, I basically manage my podcasts as if they were music i.e. as if the podcast app had never been invented. I used playlists and smartlists. IOS7/iTune 11.1 was terrible when it first came out and is still full of annoyances, but basically works.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 15, 2013 9:20 AM in response to AGuyNamedSteve

Here's my answer to your question about downloading single-episode podcasts to your computer, which is something I do ocassionally.

1. Go to the iTunes store (maybe that's different than the podcast store?) and find the podcast. A list of available episodes pops up

2. On the far right of the episode listing is a "free" button, press that and the episode starts downloading (assuming that you're already signed into the store)

3. It shows up in your podcast list under the name of the series. There will be a "subscribe" button next to the name of the series, but your individual episode is there and ready to to play.

As you can tell by this explanation, I basically manage my podcasts as if they were music i.e. as if the podcast app had never been invented. I used playlists and smartlists. IOS7/iTune 11.1 was terrible when it first came out and is still full of annoyances, but basically works.

Oct 15, 2013 5:00 PM in response to S.W. Christensen

A few days ago, the download functionality returned to the app. But I did have one today that I couldn't get to download without subscribing. Then it was fine. However, I don't necessarily want to subscribe to that podcast.

The method you mention does work. However there are several podcasts that I don't want to subscribe to, but I go to first to check new episodes. I can do this via iTunes store and searching for the podcast. However it used to be that I could go directly to the Podcast page in my iTunes Library (in iTunes, not my iPhone) and just right click on the podcast's name and select to show all episodes. This would update with everything new since I last looked. Then I can download individually from there. This was easier in that I didn't have to search out each of my preferred podcasts through the store - they were already in the Podcasts Library. But that has gone away.

For podcasts that I'm subscribed to, right clicking gives me a "refresh podcast," which I assume downloads anything new. But that option isn't there for the non-subscribed podcasts. It only gives me a "show old episodes" options, which only gives me episodes older than what's currently there. And for podcasts that are empty, that isn't even there.

I also have the Podcasts app lock up whenever I go to a podcast, hit download arrow, it tries to stream but gives me a popup, and then I hit cancel. I have to close the app entirely and start over.

Can't download individual podcast episodes - always streams

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.