Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using my phone number for iMessage across 3 devices

Hi all!

I've been happily using iMessage on my iPhone, iPad 2 and iMac (OSX 10.8.5) for ages, until iOS 6 came out. Now, my iPad and iMac won't recognize my iPhone number to be used for iMessage.

Briefly, the phone number showed as "verifying" in the iMac's iMessage preferences -> accounts screen, but it was greyed out and has since disappeared.

My phone number is added to my Apple ID, I've tried to log out of all three Apple ID's (turning off iMessage and FaceTime) on all three devices, then logging back onto each starting with the iPhone, but all it does is add other email addresses I don't want associated with iMessage (even though I've deleted them) and my phone number is nowhere to be found except on my iPhone. It is the only "send and receive" option on my iPhone, and even synching my iPhone to my iMac isn't working.

Please help!

Sandra

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Oct 7, 2013 9:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 7, 2013 10:38 AM

Associate your mobile number with your Apple ID, if you haven't already done so.

Sign out of iMessage on the Mac:

Messages Preferences ▹ Accounts ▹ Sign out

and on the iPhone:

Settings Messages Send & Receive Apple ID ▹ Sign out

Then, on the phone, tap

Use Your Apple ID for iMessage

Sign back into iMessage on both devices and test. If there's no change, you may have to wait for a change in network conditions.

Credit for this solution to ASC user SmittyLove and to Glenn Fleishman of tidbits.com.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 7, 2013 10:38 AM in response to sanderella_

Associate your mobile number with your Apple ID, if you haven't already done so.

Sign out of iMessage on the Mac:

Messages Preferences ▹ Accounts ▹ Sign out

and on the iPhone:

Settings Messages Send & Receive Apple ID ▹ Sign out

Then, on the phone, tap

Use Your Apple ID for iMessage

Sign back into iMessage on both devices and test. If there's no change, you may have to wait for a change in network conditions.

Credit for this solution to ASC user SmittyLove and to Glenn Fleishman of tidbits.com.

Using my phone number for iMessage across 3 devices

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.