Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes 11.1.1.11 is "disappearing" podcasts

The changes in iTunes 11 (possibly later) were bad enough, showing ALL the podcasts under List, including the dozens that I had downloaded, listened to and deleted - and did not want them cluttering things up. Managing that list is kludgy and a right hassle.

Over the last week, I noticed that several podcasts (all but three) that I had downloaded, but not yet listened to, had disappeared. I checked the Windows Recycle bin and they weren't there. To my surprise, they weren't in List either - that only showed three podcasts, so I couldn't download them from there. I therefore went to the iTunes Store and downloaded the next eleven podcasts. These were then synched to my iPod and I closed iTunes.

I started up iTunes later to check on the version to report here and when I went to Podcasts, the List was shown and briefly all 14 podcasts were shown, but then the screen refreshed and only the same three that I had before were shown. Luckily my iPod wasn't connected, so I don't have to download them yet again.

Another podcast in List wasn't updated, so I refreshed it - no change. I then went to Unplayed and there were two episodes - one downloaded, the other not. I went back to List and there they were.

Whoever is "designing" the recent changes needs to remember the cardinal rule: KEEP IT SIMPLE! The Unplayed/My Podcasts/My Stations and List categories are often inconsistent and podcasts are being deleted apparently at random. Please go back to the version 10 behaviour and if you must make changes, perform effective QA testing on it before inflicting it on frustrated users.

iPod nano, Windows 7

Posted on Oct 7, 2013 11:20 AM

4 replies

Oct 12, 2013 12:48 PM in response to andthepharaohs

It gets worse! In List, I deleted the only three podcasts shown from Desert Island Discs Archive 1981-1985 and it then showed none. I then right clicked on the podcast and selected Show old episodes. After a few seconds, it did so - but only for 2-3 seconds, when the list emptied again! Now the only way I can get the episodes is by going to iTunes Store and downloading them individually. This is a big leap back - in fact, it's never been so bad.

Oct 12, 2013 12:56 PM in response to andthepharaohs

Here is the recovery process, assuming you have a backup of the deleted files...

1. Restore copies of all the deleted podcasts to the Podcasts folders from your backup.

2. Restore a copy of the pre-upgrade library from the Previous iTunes Libraries folder.

3. Rename the current .itl file with the suffix (BAD), then move it into the Previous iTunes Libraries folder.

4. Remove the trailing date from the library file restored in step 2.

5. Start iTunes, go to the Podcasts section.

6. Uncheck the option to Sync podcast subscriptions, settings and stations then click Continue. This should prevent a repeat of the deletions.

User uploaded file

7. On your devices you may also want to change the Episodes to keep to All in Settings > Podcasts and then again with the settings for each subscription in the app.

8. If, like me, you updated a whole bunch of apps before realizing there was a problem, you may find the restored library has multiple broken links to any apps that you updated. Use File > Add Folder to Library and select your Mobile Applications folder. Accept the offer to replace older versions with the files you are adding. iTunes may prompt that certain files cannot be updated because it can't find the file to add. Keep a note of these as it looks like this happens when both the old & new versions would be given the same file name and iTunes unhelpfully erases the file that it is supposed to add. You can delete any remaining broken entries, close iTunes, then reopen and download from iTunes Store > Purchased > Apps > Not on this computer.

If you don't have a backup you might have some success with an undelete tool such as FreeRecover provided that the area of the drive the files were removed from hasn't yet been reused.

If you don't have the episodes to restore then at least visit Edit > Preferences > Store and Uncheck the option to Sync podcast subscriptions, settings and stations before attempting to redownload any older episodes.

tt2

Oct 12, 2013 1:55 PM in response to turingtest2

Many thanks, Alan (?!) - I didn't have a recent enough backup of my library to go back to, but your suggestions did stop the disappearance of podcasts and allow me to restore the episodes I had backed up since this problem occurred.

Apple still need to sort this out - and simplify things, rather then making them grossly over-complicated!

Thanks again.

iTunes 11.1.1.11 is "disappearing" podcasts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.