Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I extend Time Capsuel router with Belkin router?

I just bought a new Time Capsue 3tb router. I want to use my old Belkin router as the repeater and the TC as the main Wifi signal. How do I go about doing this? The Time Capsule is the newest version 3TB, version 7.1.1. The Belkin router is N750 DB Wierless N+ Router, model # F9K1103V1.

I have looked around on the forums and I cannot seem to find a strait answer that does not involve an airport extreme.

Time Capsule 3TB-OTHER, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Oct 7, 2013 12:11 PM

5 replies

Oct 7, 2013 12:59 PM in response to hillbdesign

Unfortunately, Apple/s "extend a wireless network" settings are proprietary to Apple, and designed to only allow other Apple products to wirelessly extend or repeat the network.

That being the case, it would be extremely unlikely that an Apple product would be compatible with a Belkin product if you are trying to configure the Belkin to wirelessly repeat the Apple signal.

That is about a definitive as we can be, having tried several Belkin products over the years.....but not the exact model that you have.

Oct 7, 2013 1:43 PM in response to hillbdesign

The only method that will work is if the Belkin offers Universal Wireless Repeater.. since Belkin never offers anything that they can sell you another product for.. and since they make their modems and routers as inflexible as absolutely possible, even third party firmware won't help you.

You need to use a cable .. and setup the Belkin as a WAP.. that is the only way that will work.

Oct 7, 2013 2:25 PM in response to hillbdesign

I would be blaming Belkin.. you will find extending networks is commonly a manufacturer exclusive propriety setup.. the reason is simple.. the IEEE does not have a standard for WDS.. so it simply is a case of everyone did what was right in their own eyes.

Run ethernet to the Belkin.. if it doesn't have a WAP mode.. then use WAN BYPASS.

This is simple.. change the IP of the Belkin to the same as the Apple range.. but outside the dhcp scope.. eg.. TC at default is 10.0.1.1 and scope is 2-200

Set the Belkin IP to 10.0.1.222 (make it easy to remember as you need it).

Turn off the dhcp server in the belkin.

Save the settings and reboot it.. plug ethernet LAN port of the TC to LAN port of the Belkin bypassing the WAN.

On a computer simply go to 10.0.1.222 and setup wireless for roaming network.

Same SSID = Wireles Name.

Same Security.. WPA2 AES = WPA Personal

Same wireless password.

The only thing different is wireless channels.. and if auto does not sort it.. do it manually.. ie one router has channel 11 for 2.4ghz the other has 1.

One router has 36 for 5ghz and the other has 48.. or 150.. whatever.. something different enough they do not overlap.

If you run into issues just ask.

How do I extend Time Capsuel router with Belkin router?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.