Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Im still running 10.6.8 on an old MacBook 2.4 Intel Core 2 Duo. Questions about 10.7

Im still running 10.6.8 on an old MacBook 2.4 Intel Core 2 Duo. "Genius" said I couldn't upgrade to enough memory to use 10.7. Doing ok so far except my bank/credit cards no longer support Quicken. If I switch to 10.7.x, what will I LOSE? I don't do change well, and really hate surprises. I understand scrolling goes the opposite way, that Search works differently, and that I'll have to update some of my software, for example, and then THAT software will be different. For example, does anyone know if upgraded 10.7.x is as fully functioning in Quicken 2013 as old OS and old Quicken, for example? Will it communicate with my banks?? That, and general frustration with tired-computer issues would make the switch more appealing.

Thank you all very much.

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Oct 7, 2013 1:00 PM

3 replies

Oct 7, 2013 3:53 PM in response to katetx2001

One question at a time.

My best guess is that your MBP is a mid/late 2007 model or perhaps later. It will accept 6 GB RAM per Mactraker which should enable to run Lion (10.7) or Mt. Lion (10.8). If you insist on Lion, you will have to contact Apple customer service and they will give you a redemption code. For Mt. Lion, you may purchase it and download it from the App store.

Ciao.

Oct 8, 2013 2:37 AM in response to katetx2001

katetx2001 wrote:

Thanks. Why would I "insist" on Lion?

You mentioned Lion in your post so I assume that you may have reasons for using it in lieu of Mt. Lion. I actually do so for technical reasons regarding my Internet service which will not run on Mt. Lion. If you do not have such a constraint, then Mt. Lion is an acceptable choice.

Ciao.

You may start an new post regarding the rest of your issues.

Im still running 10.6.8 on an old MacBook 2.4 Intel Core 2 Duo. Questions about 10.7

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.