Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari passwords

Is there any way to see my passwords saved in Safari Prefs? I have tons of user names in there, but for some reason, most are not in my keychain. I tried going to some of the sites, and Safari autofills my usernames and passwords, so I know I didn't hit "never allow." It's really weird, not sure if it's some kind of glitch because I'm on an old Macbook.

I'm trying to switch my username and pw info over to my iPad for safe keeping before this Mac dies so I can access accounts if I need to.

Thanks!

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Oct 7, 2013 1:11 PM

20 replies

Jul 6, 2017 5:04 PM in response to afz3

Your problem, hardware or software, may not be exactly the same as that of the original poster of this older thread, and it can be very confusing for everybody if we try to answer more than one question in each thread, which can also result in you applying the wrong advice to your particular problem.

In order for us to give your problem our proper attention to try to solve it, would you kindly start your own thread, describing the trouble you are having in the fullest detail, including completing your details to show what Mac or iDevice you are using, what operating system, and what version of the application in question. Please remember to post in the forum relevant to your hardware or version of OS X. A full list of all the support forums is here:

http://discussions.apple.com/index.jspa

Oct 7, 2013 1:27 PM in response to amandalynne78

Ok... I guess that tab is not available from v10.6 Safari 5.1.10...

To view passwords in Keychain Access.

Open Keychain Access then select Passwords on the left.

Double click a keychain then select the Attributes tab.

Click: Show password

Click Allow when prompted for your admin password to proceed.

You should be able to see the corresponding password for that website now.

Oct 7, 2013 6:27 PM in response to Carolyn Samit

Yeah, but I know there are saved passwords in Safari that didn't save to Keychain for whatever reason.

An example is a local hospital's HR website that I used a month or so ago to apply for a job. In Safari, it shows the URL and my username, while that info isn't in Keychain. When I go to the hospital's HR website, it autofills my username and password (dotted out).

So, I know the password is saved somewhere... But it's not in Keychain, and I can't find it in Safari.

I have about 60 websites with usernames and passwords like this.

Safari passwords

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.