Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iWeb opens but there is no project window

I use iWeb extensively and have never had this issue before. iWeb opens and shows all the menu items but no project window.

I used Time Machine to restore an older version of my iWeb Pages folder, didn't work.

I used this help discussion (https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2199580?start=0&tstart=0) to fine and rebuild the iWeb domain or package folder. If I remove the old package iWeb creates a new one and will open an empty project window. Partial sucess, but if I replce the contetns with my old package contents it again won't open the projects and there is no project window.

I can't beleive I never noticed iWeb has no way of opening an exsitng project!

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I REALLY don't want to have to re build my sites from scratch.

I'm on iWeb '08 2.0.4 and Mac OSX 10.8.5.

Thanks,

David

Posted on Oct 7, 2013 4:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 8, 2013 12:06 AM

Well yes, iWeb can open an existing project, but it does have to be your domain.sites file and not a published version of your website because iWeb has no import facility so cannot open html and css.

Find the correct iWeb data file and iWeb will most certainly open it and this can be found under your User/Library/Application Support/iWeb/domain.sites.

Your a probably having problems because you are using iWeb 08 with Mountain Lion and iWeb 08 has been reported as having bugs and not working with Mountain Lion. If you want to continue using iWeb, then you will probably need to upgrade it to iWeb 09. Unfortuntately, the only way that you can get iWeb 09 now is to buy it from Amazon. Get either the iLife 09 or iLife 11 boxed set and both of these contain iWeb 09.

iWeb 09 works with Mountain Lion and you can also have separate domain.sites files which you cannot in iWeb 08. In iWeb 09 you can also use direct publishing rather than publishing to a folder.

Try upgrading to iWeb 09 if you want to continue using it with Mountain Lion or your other alternative if you don't want to buy iWeb 09 is to continue to use iWeb 08, but use it on a Mac still running Snow Leopard with which it works.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 8, 2013 12:06 AM in response to DMedeiros

Well yes, iWeb can open an existing project, but it does have to be your domain.sites file and not a published version of your website because iWeb has no import facility so cannot open html and css.

Find the correct iWeb data file and iWeb will most certainly open it and this can be found under your User/Library/Application Support/iWeb/domain.sites.

Your a probably having problems because you are using iWeb 08 with Mountain Lion and iWeb 08 has been reported as having bugs and not working with Mountain Lion. If you want to continue using iWeb, then you will probably need to upgrade it to iWeb 09. Unfortuntately, the only way that you can get iWeb 09 now is to buy it from Amazon. Get either the iLife 09 or iLife 11 boxed set and both of these contain iWeb 09.

iWeb 09 works with Mountain Lion and you can also have separate domain.sites files which you cannot in iWeb 08. In iWeb 09 you can also use direct publishing rather than publishing to a folder.

Try upgrading to iWeb 09 if you want to continue using it with Mountain Lion or your other alternative if you don't want to buy iWeb 09 is to continue to use iWeb 08, but use it on a Mac still running Snow Leopard with which it works.

iWeb opens but there is no project window

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.