Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Every time I start my MacBook Pro, I get the following message: "An unexpected error. Unable to parse the custom or default XML." As well, my computer has started logging out after short periods of inactivity. Any suggestions?

Every time I start my MacBook Pro, I get the following message: "An unexpected error. Unable to parse the custom or default XML." As well, my computer has started logging out after short periods of inactivity. Any suggestions?

Posted on Oct 7, 2013 5:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 7, 2013 8:07 PM

Check your login items and remove any you don't recognize.

From the menu bar, select

 ▹ System Preferences... ▹ Security & Privacy ▹ Advanced...

and uncheck the box marked

Log out after … minutes of inactivity

If there's a closed padlock icon in the lower left corner of the preference pane, you may need to click it to unlock the settings. Enter your login password when prompted.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 7, 2013 8:07 PM in response to andpaq

Check your login items and remove any you don't recognize.

From the menu bar, select

 ▹ System Preferences... ▹ Security & Privacy ▹ Advanced...

and uncheck the box marked

Log out after … minutes of inactivity

If there's a closed padlock icon in the lower left corner of the preference pane, you may need to click it to unlock the settings. Enter your login password when prompted.

Oct 9, 2013 1:47 PM in response to Linc Davis

Thanks. I did what you said. Somehow, the setting had changed to an automatic logout after 60 minutes of inactivity. I didn't do this. Perhaps it was reset that way after the motherboard was repaired and the hard drive was replaced about 1.5 months ago. Is this the default setting for Macbooks? I guess I'll have to test it and see.

I'm still worried about the error message I get upon start up - An unexpected error. Unable to parse the custom or default XML. I have no idea what it means. I have never seen it before about two weeks ago. As well, my Mac has developed some very unaccustomed slowness. Every now and then I try to navigate to a new page online and I have to go back and reselect the link in order to convince the machine to complete the action. This is especially true when I'm going to an online PDF file. Even typing sometimes slows down. I press the keys but there's a very noticeable lag before the letters appear. Could all of this be related?

Dec 4, 2013 11:45 AM in response to Linc Davis

Hi - this very thing (error message: An unexpected error. Unable to parse the custom or default XML) is happening to me, and I have no log-in items now except itunes helper, and I am still getting the error message. I went through the log-in items one by one and turned them off to see if it worked, and it did not. Any other advice? This has only happened after I upgraded to maverick.

Thanks for any help.

Jun 7, 2015 12:58 PM in response to BmlCom

SMART Technologies' apps were causing the "unexpected error. Unable to parse the custom or default XML" for me too. I used the SMART uninstaller and the problem stopped. Note that SMART doesn't list itself in the login list in System Preferences, although some SMART processes do start themselves at reboot.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.