Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I recently updated my iPad to iOS 7 and am now having issues sending email. I can receive them, however. I get a message that says the connection to my outgoing server failed. I've double checked my SMTP with my internet provider. So I feel kind of stuck.

I recently updated my iPad to iOS 7 and am now having issues sending email. I can receive them, however. I get a message that says the connection to my outgoing server failed. I've double checked my SMTP with my internet provider. So I feel kind of stuck. Any advice.

iPad, iOS 7

Posted on Oct 7, 2013 7:23 PM

10 replies

Oct 11, 2013 4:42 PM in response to KKMfromWI

Ok... Similar issue sorted out today.

Use laptop / home PC to log into your hotmail / other account

Try to send a mail (asked for account to be verified)

Enter security number that was sent by text

Then importantly change the password for your account and save etc

Next... Go to iPad; go to settings; mail, contacts calendar etc

Identify your hotmail / other account and delete the account

Go to "add account" and select "other" from list

Follow instructions and of course use your new password

Try sending email again via iPad... This has worked for us.

Good luck

Oct 24, 2013 7:47 AM in response to BigDaddyLane

I have this same problem, often and on multiple Apple machines and with multiple email accounts. Every once in a while, and always when I really just need it to work, either my iMac, Macbook Pro, iPhone, or iPad will suddenly refuse to send any mail from a certain email account.

"Unable to send mail. A copy has been placed in your outbox. The sender address "______" was rejected by the server."

And every time the answer is the same, delete the account and start from scratch. I have done that so many times, on a constant basis for the last three years, deleting my accounts and starting from scratch over and over again. That is not a solution, it is a band-aid. I want an actual solution, or an alternative to Mail.

Jan 28, 2014 8:10 AM in response to Boisv

UNABLE TO SEND EMAIL: a copy has been placed in your outbox, the sender address was rejected by the server!;

Did you ever get a good answer to this? And not just a band-aid. I also keep having this issue over and over. Apple blames my provider, and my provider says it's an Apple issue. Is there not a better way to resolve this issue other than deleting the SMTP and recreating it. This is absurd!!!

Message was edited by: bobby146

Apr 22, 2014 6:52 AM in response to KKMfromWI

When you set up mail, you have to enter the settings for the incoming mail server and (optionally) the outgoing email server. It is possible to not fully complete the outgoing email settings. This could be a potential issue because of how your mail server handles authentication. Best to fully populate all the fields for incoming/outgoing server and that may help.

For example, I have a webhosting account that supports multiple email addresses - eg: mydomain.com

For every email address, I need to put in the userid/password into the iOS email configuration even though it is accessing the exact same mail server address

eg:

mail1@mydomain.com - include settings for mail1 userid / password

mail2@mydomain.com - include settings for mail2 userid / password

May 23, 2014 5:37 AM in response to bobby146

I too am getting the Cannot Get Email message, and I am still on iOS6 iPhone5, never had this issue on my phone before iOS6 and never on my iPhone3Gs... The fact that there isn't a satifactory answer, deleting and re-entering is total BS as I have did that sooooo many times, hoping it was just me entering something wrong when it didn't work, before it dawned on me it WASN"T ME! Therefore it MUST be the sacred Apple having the issue. Truth is, despite having endured the cost of upgraded to the 5 and having paid a pretty zillion pennies for my iPad4, I've ditched my plans to purchase a MAC laptop... Androids look better with every Cannot Get Mail message, and we won't even delve into the countless, "Updated Wednesday" when it happens to be three days later, or "Updated 7:49 AM" when it's 9:30 PM the same day!!!!!

Common Apple, have some respect for your following and for the money we've shelled out! I wonder if this rsply will be "edited by Jeremy"???

I recently updated my iPad to iOS 7 and am now having issues sending email. I can receive them, however. I get a message that says the connection to my outgoing server failed. I've double checked my SMTP with my internet provider. So I feel kind of stuck.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.