Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No video capture devices were found

Hi,

I'm using a late 2012 MacBook Pro 13" and the built-in camera stopped working suddenly.

Any known issue? Workaround available?

Thanks.

OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Oct 7, 2013 8:24 PM

10 replies

Nov 10, 2013 11:51 AM in response to dominic23

None of the suggested steps work for me.

I've now tried to reset the SMC two times on my late-2012 MBP Retina, but this hasn't fixed anything.

There's clearly a problem here. I'm hopeful that a patch will fix it, but annoyingly, my MBP turns 1 year old in 2 weeks, so I am out of time to wait for one.

Video chatting is the primary means by which I communicate with the rest of my company; I never imagined a problem like this would be such a deal breaker.

Oct 14, 2014 11:38 PM in response to murali.rao

Today, the day that I am writing this, I just got my Mid-2010 MacBook Pro back from an Apple off-site repair facility for Kernel Panicking. In order to fix the issue, they had to replace the entire logic board. When I was reinstalling my applications, I ran into an issue when setting up Skype as it couldn't find the iSight camera. I then got similar error messages when I opened up PhotoBooth and Facetime. The weird part was that in System Information, while there was no camera detected under the Camera header, the iSight was being picked up under the USB header. After talking to Apple Support over the online chat system this was the solution that worked for me (same as dominic23 suggested): Resetting the SMC.*

1) Make sure your Mac is being charged and that your MagSafe adapter is connected.

2) On the left side of your keyboard, press (NO NEED TO HOLD. JUST PRESS) Shift-Control-Option and the Power Button at the same time.

3) The computer will immediately shut off. (For good measure, I waited about 15 secs for what appeared to be a hard shutdown.) Then press the power button to turn your computer back on.

When the computer turned, I went back to System Information to find that a camera was now detected under the Camera header and that all the apps were now able to detect a camera as well.

*When I talked to Apple Care, the representative seemed quite confident that the fact that the iSight was visible under the USB header in System Information meant that Resetting the SMC would do the job. So check the Camera and USB headers to see what your situation is like.

Hope this helped someone!

No video capture devices were found

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.