Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot record any vocals

I have beats with a built in mic and I cannot get garage band to record any vocals. I have tried going to preferences and changing the audio input to built in input but still no luck. I even went back and tried to record with just the built in mic on my mac book and it still didn't work. I tested my mic using the text dictation, so I know my mic is working just fine. Anyone have a solution?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Oct 7, 2013 10:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 7, 2013 10:32 PM

What happens when you try to record vocals? Does thered "Record" button not react, or does the recording vanish, after you are done?

I the vocal recording is deleted as sson as you stop, make sre you have a real instrument track selected, when you are recording and not a software instrument track.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 7, 2013 10:32 PM in response to Fallenteezy

What happens when you try to record vocals? Does thered "Record" button not react, or does the recording vanish, after you are done?

I the vocal recording is deleted as sson as you stop, make sre you have a real instrument track selected, when you are recording and not a software instrument track.

Oct 7, 2013 11:31 PM in response to léonie

When I push record it just records silence. I read that there should be bars on the track that let you know when it is picking up any sound, and they are not showing that any sound is being received. I am not recording any instruments, just vocals.

Have you checked the system Preferences Audio pane? Is the input level set to a high value, and do you see any signal there?

If you have "Ambient Noise reduction" enabled, turn it off for a test.

User uploaded file

Cannot record any vocals

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.