Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Imaging an older version of 10.8 than a Mac shipped with

I just got in a few of the new iMacs with recently updated hardware. Our current base image was built on 10.8.3, after which we use Software Update to get to 10.8.5. However, the new models ship with 10.8.4 and won't boot our base image (flashing question mark folder). I'm about to test updating the the base to 10.8.5 but is the general practice that a Mac won't boot with an older OS version than is ships from the factory with? I thought 10.8.3 to 10.8.4 would be a reasonalbe difference but apparently not. And should I update the base image or build a new one from this new iMac model. The 10.8.3 base was build on an iMac that shipped with 10.8.0 or 10.8.1.

The bigger picture concern is that with the new Mac Pros shipping sometime soon, will we be able to run MtLion at all if the units ship with Mavericks? That's a lot of security evaluation and prep work that we weren't ready for. I welcome the community's input. Thanks.

Posted on Oct 7, 2013 9:07 PM

3 replies

Oct 7, 2013 9:13 PM in response to SaxDaddy

Most all Macs will not boot from an earlier version of OS X than was shipped with it.

You can update your base image or you can re-download/purchase Mountain Lion from the App Store. The download should be 10.8.5.

I can't tell you about future models based on Mavericks since it hasn't been released. But it is most likely that future hardware will require later versions of OS X. They may still be 10.8.5, but they will be later builds that are made especially for the new hardware.

Oct 7, 2013 9:21 PM in response to Kappy

Thanks Kappy, I figured as much but am annoyed that a .1 increment in the OS is blocked from working by the manufacturer. Then again not much about managing Macs in a company is easy.

Any thoguhts on whether I should crack open my existing image or start all over with this newer model? Also, should I be concerned that the recovery partition still shows 10.8.4 but the OS is 10.8.5?

Oct 8, 2013 9:43 AM in response to SaxDaddy

They are not blocked. The issue is changes in hardware that require a new or modified version of OS X to support the new hardware. As the hardware changes so must the OS needed to support it.

I would presume that the Recovery HD software did not require any change for the incremental increase of OS X. I wouldn't be worried about it. That has happened before with prior versions.

Imaging an older version of 10.8 than a Mac shipped with

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.